Sore heads and hangovers

When I woke, I was met with one of the strangest scenes I think I have ever set my eyes upon. It was so strange that it took me a while to take it all in, but once I had, it was impossible for me to hold in my giggles.

Nicola and I were in my bed, under the covers like normal people. However, that is where the ordinary stops and the 'un' is put into the 'usual'.

Firstly, Gonzo and Maxi were sprawled out across the bed at a perpendicular angle to Nicola and myself. Maxi's right hand was tangled up in Nicola's hair, and his left was wrapped around the shoulders of Gonzo who was curled up in the foetal position with his head resting upon Maxi's chest.

I then looked past Gonzo, and caught a glimpse of someone who was half on the bed, and half not on the bed. The more I looked at how they were positioned, the more I thought about how uncomfortable they must be.

Their top half was just about on the bed, but from the middle of their abdomen right the way to their ankles, they were on the floor. Their face was pretty much pointing my direction, so I hyper extended my neck in order to get a better look at who it was. To be honest, I was very much expecting to see one of the crazier lifeguards, but was met with a surprise when I saw the face of Tom - I did not see that coming.

What made the position that Tom was in even funnier was the fact that his face was pretty close to Gonzo's rear end. Boy, poor Tom's going to get a shock when he wakes up, I thought.

I then shifted my gaze to the left hand side of me, where my eyes were met by three very familiar people - Reidy, Whippet and Chappo. Whip was laid on his back, in the middle of Reidy and Chappo, who were both laid on their sides facing one another. It was pretty funny, but then, as if it wasn't funny enough, I then realised that Reidy and Chappo were both spooning Whippet. They both had their arms wrapped around him, and each had their heads resting on one of his shoulders.

Then, I looked to my right, and saw none other than Rod 'Kerrbox' Kerr slumped against the wall with an empty bottle of Corona in one hand, and a half full bottle of Corona in his other. Next to him was Mouse who was laid in a very strange position, which actually made him resemble a mouse! On the opposite side of Kerrbox was Matt D, who apart from being wrapped up in at least 3 towels, looked pretty normal.

After taking a few photos of the carnage, I slid myself out from underneath Maxi and Gonzo, and it was then that I realised that my ribs were still very tender, and that probably had something to do with the fact that Gonzo and Maxi had been sleeping on top of me all night.

As I began to navigate my way around all of the bodies which were currently littering my bedroom floor, I could detect the very welcome smells of bacon and coffee wafting into the room. Who the hell is up and cooking breakfast in my house at 8:30am? I wondered whilst proceeding into the kitchen.

I then came face to face with three more familiar people, who took the shape of Bacon, Corey Oliver and Quiggers.

"Jesus, you three are up early," I exclaimed,

"Well Charl, you're forgetting one very important detail," Corey replied,

"Oh? And what would that be?" I enquired,

"We're lifeguards!" They all cheered, "and that means that we're used to being up at the crack of dawn," Quiggers added,

"Good point, I forgot that for a minute," I chuckled,

After our brief chat, they all got back to what they were doing... Corey was making some extremely strong looking coffee, Quiggers was buttering some bread rolls and Bacon was cooking some Bacon (please excuse the irony - I couldn't resist!)

"Shall I go and wake the others up?" I asked, presuming that they were all experts on dealing with the hungover lifeguards,"

"Nah, there's no hurry, all of the lads who are on duty this morning left last night or have already gone," Quiggers stated,

"Yeah, and the smell of coffee and bacon will soon wake them up... they've never been able to resist a good old bacon sarnie!" Bacon added.

And with that, I made my way over to the dining table, and just like the three father figures had said, within minutes, the rest of the boys started to stir and make their way, one by one, into the kitchen. Each of them found a place to sit, and waited patiently for their breakfast to be given to them. When I think about it, it's quite funny how they all just expect to get up and be served with coffee and a bacon sandwich. Then I realised that these kind of events must happen quite frequently, and therefore, Corey, Quiggers and Bacon will be used to dealing with the hangovers of some of their closest mates.

Last to emerge from the bedroom was Chappo who immediately came over to me. I was expecting him to come over and give me a cuddle, or a kiss or something, but instead he decided that it would be a good idea to sit on my knee.

"Hey!" Matt Dee shouted from the opposite end of the table, "Isn't that meant to be the other way around?"

"Yes, yes it is!" I shouted back as I pushed Chappo off of my knee and on to the floor,

"What was that for!?" He complained,

"I have cracked ribs mate, I can hardly hold myself up properly, let alone you!"

Before Chappo had a chance to respond, the bacon sandwiches were served, and everyone began to tuck in. Its amazing how quiet everybody goes when they have food. I didn't hear a single peep for at least five minutes whilst everybody, including myself, stuffed their faces.

Maxi, who managed to eat two sandwiches in the time it took everyone else to eat one piped up first, "Thanks lads, that was absolutely delicious!"

Once everyone had finished, they all did their bit to help clear the table and do the washing up, which I thought was very kind. However, their helpfulness didn't stop there, as they then went on to help clean and tidy the whole house, which was a pleasant and very welcome surprise.

After the house was back to normal, we all organised to meet down at Bondi a bit later on, to do some training and rescue exercises. Once all the details had been confirmed, they all started to filter out of the front door, thanking Chappo and me for hosting as they went by.

When the last person had left, I shut the door and turned to face Chappo, more aggressively than I had meant to.

"Oh man, what have I done wrong now?" He sighed,

"Nothing," I smiled, "absolutely nothing... you are the most unpredictable and kind-hearted human being I think I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, and I am reminded of that every time I look at your gorgeous body and get lost in your wondrous eyes,"

"Well, you're not too bad youself Charl," he said, moving towards me and embracing me in his long, muscular arms,

"Oi, don't get cheeky!" I said, nuging him in the ribs,

"Who me?" He questioned, "I wouldn't dream of it."

HEY GUYS,

HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS CHAPTER. I FELT LIKE THE STORY NEEDED A CHAPTER LIKE THIS, UST TO BUILD UP A FEW MORE OF THE CHARACTERS, BUT DON'T WORRY, THERE IS PLENTY OF ACTION COMING UP IN THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS, I PROMISE! IF YOU HAVE ANY FEEDBACK OR IDEAS, THEN AS ALWAYS, FEEL FREE TO DROP ME A COMMENT. OH, AND DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!

MUCH LOVE,

Charlie x