Chapter Two

Technically, it wasn't actually a dead end.

Technically, I wasn't standing before a solid brick wall.

But the wooden door ahead of me might as well have been a plain wall since it was almost definitely locked.

I didn't know what was behind it. Actually, I didn't even know about it five minuets ago.

I could tell is was locked, though. On the base of the door handle was a heavy looking antique lock, once painted silver, now chipped and slightly bronze with the stain of age.

Confused, I gave my surrounding a last, quick glance before walking back to the classrooms.

Considering my reoccurring, strange dreams, I wasn't too weirded out by what had just happened. I only convinced myself that those dreams were finally starting to get to me and this was how I was reacting to it.

By seeing things.

Perfect.

The next few classes ended in a flash, and I suddenly found myself back in the dining hall, sitting in the same table, with the same two people; Cameron and Faris.

When I got there, the pair were already talking about something I couldn't understand at first.

Judging by Cameron's elaborate hand gestures, and Faris's continuous eye rolls, I guessed the discussion was pretty heated.

"What are you two talking about?" I asked as I set my tray of food down on the cafeteria table.

Cameron stopped talking and picked up a handful of fries off my plate.

Faris suddenly found his plate (of nothing) more interesting than my existence.

"What?" I asked warily.

Cameron glanced at me and winced.

"What." It was no longer a question.

"On a scale of zero to ten, how much do you like that Fin guy."

I frowned. "I barely know him."

"Just answer the question."

"I don't know," I said honestly. "Five maybe. On a good day. Maybe six."

Faris's usual collected expression twitched for a moment before it went back to normal.

I sighed. "How much is it going to take for me to find the answer to my question?"

"He got beat up," Faris said with his slight accent. "Before second period."

I got that familiar twist in my gut, the same one I always get whenever I'm angry. Especially after hearing something unjust.

I glanced at Cameron. "We saw him."

"I know," he looked down with shame. "We could have stopped them."

Faris tsked at him. "It's not your fault, it's their's."

"But still-"

"Shut up."

It was the first time I heard Faris cuss and it must have been Cameron's first as well, guessing by the shocked expression on his face.

Cameron did shut up.

I stood up. "Where is he?"

"Nurse? I'm not sure-"

I was walking away from our table before he even got to complete his sentence.

I didn't know what drove me to walk down the halls towards the nurse.

Maybe it was the boy-ish grin Fin had given me so freely that morning, or the excited glint in his eyes when I mentioned his blue hair.