Chapter Six

I woke with a start.

"Good morning."

I blinked, squeezing my eyes shut before reopening them. "What time is it?"

"6 A.M."

My heart jumped. "Are you sure?"

Fin chuckled, showing me the time on his alarm clock.

"Fin..."

He turned to me, arm loosening against me. "What? Did you sleep well?"

I stared at him.

His hair was messy, sticking up in all the wrong place. His eyes were red rimmed, like he was up all night (which he probably was), and his skin was pale, as usual.

"Too well," I replied.

Fin frowned. "What?"

I shook my head, pushing his arms off and moving away. "I don't understand."

"Understand what?"

"This! You..," I said. "Fin, I dreamt nothing last night. Nothing. It just feels like I blinked and now it's six in the morning."

"What's this got to do with me?"

I shivered. "Fin, I've been having the same dream every night for the past month. This creepy dream that won't stop, and then you put your arms around me while I'm sleeping and it's gone."

His eyes that were once focused on me, slowly looked away. "Maybe it's a coincidence."

The argument I had faltered.

A coincidence?

"Okay," I said slowly. "Then let's test it out."

"What?"

"I'll sleep here until we see the results. Maybe it is a coincidence as you said."

"Kaiden...I can't."

I frowned. "Why not?"

He smiled, just not the regular one I was used to seeing. "I don't think I can be this close to you all the time without hurting you."

"What are you talking about?" I asked impatiently.

"Kaide, you know I'm gay. You know. And you still do things that- shit!" he frowned, mussing his hair up with his fingers and tugging at the ends frustratedly.

I looked away, mind racing.

"Okay," I said. "It doesn't matter. I'll just figure something else out. Maybe those pills you gave me that I never tried."

"Kaiden-"

"I need to go," I said, climbing out of bed.

He hurried after me, pulling some pants over his boxers. "Wait."

I turned to him, hand on the door knob.

I watched him lick his lips. "I'm sorry. I really want to help you, I do. I just don't want to ruin our friendship over my lack of self control."

My heart stomach flipped. At his words and at my thoughts. "What if...what if I don't mind that you lose control over yourself?"

He shook his head. "No, Kaiden. You don't understand."

"Yes, I do," I said, letting my hand drop from the door knob as I moved closer to him.

"No-"

I grabbed both side of his face, bringing him closer to me.