Chapter Ten

Wandering down the halls with Cameron felt a lot better than just wandering the halls on my own.

We were quiet, holding our breaths each time we passed a door belonging to a teacher, or one of the other staff members.

"What's up with you and Faris?" I asked once we were able to relax for a while.

"Nothing. Everything's cool. Like usual. Why?"

I eyed him carefully under the barely existing lights. "Just asking."

"Okay. What's up with you and Fin?" He asked, turning to look at me.

I frowned. "What?"

"Oh, so you're allowed to ask me but I'm not allowed to ask you?"

"That's different. You know that what's between me and Fin different."

"Why? Because you sleep in the same bed with him?" He cocked his head to the side.

I broke eye contact as to conceal my flaming cheeks.

When I didn't respond for a while, he sighed. "Look, I don't care what goes on between you two. You know that."

"Yeah, I do. I just don't understand it myself, you know?"

He nodded. "I get it."

I asked, "Do you like him?"

"Faris?"

"No, my uncle."

He shoved my playfully to the side. "I guess."

I felt a familiar feeling of pain in my chest. "Cameron-"

"I know," he said, frowning as he stared at the ground. "Nothing's going to happen."

I stayed quiet, not knowing what to say. "I-It'll be okay."

He visibly winced. "I guess."

We walked the rest of the way in a comfortable, yet still sorrowful, silence.

"Finally," Faris said quietly as we got to the security room. "I almost thought you guys would bail."

"He took too long in the bathroom," I said, jabbing a thumb in Cameron's direction.

"Did not," Cameron muttered, but even in the night I could still see his cheeks pinken.

Faris's eyes roamed Cameron's body briefly, almost unnoticeably, before quickly looking away like nothing had happened.

I watched them with amusement before speaking up. "Did you try the door?"

"Locked."

I sighed. "This is one of those rare moments I wished I was a girl."

Faris frowned. "Why?"

"Bobby pins."

"Right."

The three of us stared at the door.

"I got a paper clip with me," Cameron said.

"You could have said that earlier!" I quietly hissed as he fished out a paperclip from his front pocket.

He handed it to me and I felt the cold metal land on my open palm. "What am I supposed to do with it?"

"Pick the lock?"

"What makes you think I know how to pick locks?" I asked.

Cameron shrugged.

I sighed before leaning in front of the door, eyes leveled with the lock.