Chapter Fourteen

Fin and I walked back to school silently.

It felt like the whole day was just a dream. An out of body experience, where I was watching myself move and talk instead of actually being there to experience it all.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

I nodded. "Sure."

"You look sad."

I glanced up at him before quickly looking away.

It was still early in the day.

It felt like we'd been at his house longer than we actually had.

"How come your uncle wasn't home?" I asked.

Fin shrugged. "He's always busy. Why?"

"Just wondering."

The sun was slowly tipping towards the edge of the sky, projecting a colorful array of different hues ranging from pink, orange, to a light shade of blue.

Fin's lips were also pink, almost matching the shade in the sky. I found myself looking back and forth between his lips and the sky behind him, wondering if it was possible to kiss the sky, would it be just as soft as Fin's lips?

"What are you looking at?" he asked me, twisting around to get a look.

"The sky."

And you.

"It looks cool today."

"Yeah."

His hand suddenly brushed against mine, and my eyes instantly followed their movement.

A tingle shot up my arm as his pinky stretched out to run a linear shape against my skin. My chest fluttered in response, and I subconsciously moved closer to Fin.

His pinky finger hooked around mine, and we walked the rest of the way to the school gates with our pinkies interlaced.

We arrived at the entrance and took a step apart, my eyes shamefully downcast as our fingers unhooked.

"I'll see you tonight," Fin said.

I nodded weakly, unable to move my heavy tongue.

What does any of this mean?

I watched him walk the other way, wondering when I would get the chance to kiss him again.

I wanted to do more than just kiss his lips.

I wanted everything else, and it excited me beyond words.

To the extent in which my lips were still locked in a smile even as I pushed the door open to my room and found Faris and Cameron sitting side by side on Cameron's bed.

"Hey," I greeted the pair.

Faris shuffled a few inches away.

The expression on Cameron's face was priceless.

"Did you have fun with Fin today?"

I nodded as I plopped down on my bed. "It was great. What did you guys get up to?"

"Nothing," Faris blurted.

I raised my eyebrows. "You did nothing for...six hours?"

"It's been six hours?"

"That's not the point."

The two were silent as I got up from my bed to clean a few things around the room. I had laundry that was long overdue, and after finding hidden articles of clothing lying around in the room, I compiled a decent pile and gathered the clothes in my arms.