Chapter Four

Fin was in my English class.

I knew before.

We had been a month into the start of the new school year after all, it just didn't mean anything then.

Now that we'd sort of become friends, it hit me again.

He was sitting in front of me, because I almost always sat in the back row of every class.

Not because I didn't pay attention, but because it made me feel like I could see almost everything. Like I was finally, somewhat, in control for once.

Fin's eyes slowly met mine as I stepped inside the class and walked towards my seat.

He smiled at me.

I smiled back.

He twisted around in his seat as I chose mine. Then he mouthed, "Stairwell later?"

It took me a while to understand what he was trying to say, longer than it should have, but when I did, I gave him a firm nod.

We needed to talk, anyway. I wanted more answers.

Straight after class, I headed towards the cafeteria as it was already lunch time.

"Hey, Faris," I said.

He looked up from his plate of fries. "Hi."

We didn't talk much after that. Cameron had to stay behind in whatever class he had, and neither of us were ones to start up a conversation.

"Have you seen Fin?" he asked.

I frowned. "Yeah, he's in my English class."

"I mean...did you see what they did to him?"

I nodded.

"You talked to him about it?"

"Yeah."

Faris looked around the cafeteria. "I don't think what they did is right."

I blinked. "You're...cool that he's gay."

He chuckled. "I wasn't sure he was, but yes. I'm okay with it. Not that it matters much, anyway. I kind of just wanted you to know so you wouldn't feel awkward or anything."

I smiled. "Thanks, Faris. I'm sure he'd appreciate knowing he has more people on his side."

He smiled back at me.

When I finished eating my food, I said a quick goodbye to Faris before heading towards the stairwell.

"Faris thinks it's okay that you're gay," I told Fin as soon as I sat next to him.

He smiled. "Yeah? I thought it was against his religion."

I shrugged. "Maybe it doesn't matter to him as much as we think."

"I wanted to talk to you...about what I said this morning."

His dark eyes were glued to his hands, which were clasped together over his legs, which he'd stretched out in front of himself.

"What part?" I asked.

"The part where I said being gay and sleeping in the same bed with you doesn't change anything."

"Okay," I said.

"I think...I don't know what it is, Kaiden. But I-I want to try it again."

I was pretty sure my eyebrows shot up to the ceiling. "What?"

"I mean...I'd like to sleep beside you again. To figure this out."

"Oh."

"Oh?"