Chapter Sixteen

Sexual stuff ahead. I couldn't help it, sorry.

The library was its usual quiet self. My eyes scanned the numerous ceiling-high book cases, all filled to the brim. The wooden floor board creaked beneath my shoes, a low groan echoing against the silence. 

The smell of wood and old books took over my senses just as Fin pulled out a chair from a nearby desk and slid in.

Most of the desks had computers on them, and I watched as Fin switched one on, leg bouncing all throughout.

I placed a hand on his thigh.

We hadn't spoken since I brought up the library, and we walked all the way there in silence.

His eyes fell to my hand before he glanced at me.

I held back a smile. "Breathe."

He nodded, Adam apple bobbing as he swallowed.

Fin turned back to face the computer screen, fingers firmly placed against the keyboard.

"So, what are we looking for?" I asked.

"I'm not sure," he muttered.

He shifted his leg and I realized my hand was still on thigh. I squeezed reassuringly. He tensed.

I grinned, glancing around to make sure no one was around before pressing my lips against his neck.

He moved away. "Kaiden, c'mon."

I shrugged. "You need to relax."

"I am relaxed."

I raised my eyebrows and pointedly let my eyes fall to his fisted hands.

He flexed his fingers almost instantly. "I'm fine."

"Okay."

He looked at me for a few more seconds before typing away on the keyboard.

"What can I do to help?" I asked.

He paused. "I don't even know what to look for. What should I look for?"

"Recurring nightmares?"

He typed that out and hit 'enter'.

The page loaded and an endless list of websites showed up. Fin clicked the first one.

I looked away as he began to read the minuscule words on the screen.

My eyes scanned the other empty desks in the library, the large windows on the walls projecting sharp rays of sunlight. I watched as dust danced in the air, as the clouds moved lazily across the pale sky outside.

"You okay?" Fin asked.

I shivered. "Yeah."

I glanced around the library again.

Fin sighed, exiting the page. "There's nothing here that can help. It's all stuff we already know."

"What about the boy? How come we can both see him?"

"I have no idea."

"Does he look familiar to you?"

He frowned. "No. I mean, it feels like I'd seen him before, but in a previous dream. Does that make sense?"

"Not really," I said, "but I'm sure you'll remember soon."

"I hope you're right."

"Maybe we should look through the yearbooks?" I suggested.

"That's a good idea."

Neither of us moved.

He placed a hand on mine, fingers squeezing carefully. "You look good today."