Chapter Nineteen

Fin struggled to push the door to his room open.

I watched as he fumbled with the door knob, a half amused expression on my face.

"What are you doing?" I finally asked.

"I think the door hates me."

"I'm pretty sure doors don't have feelings."

Fin glared playfully in my direction before stepping back. "Fine. Have a go."

I stepped forward and jiggled the door knob a few times. "Have I ever told you of the time Cameron, Fairs, and I tried to break into the security room? We succeeded."

"You what?"

I grinned, pushing at the door forcefully.

It swung open and I spread my arm. "There you go."

Fin stared at me. "How."

I flexed my arm. "Muscles."

"From what?" he demanded.

"I play sports. Occasionally."

Fin shook his head before walking into his room. He waited until I wandered in after him before he shut the door.

"Tell me, why did you try to break into the security room?"

I tried not to give away the panicky feeling I felt in my chest. "Curiosity and pure stupidity."

"I'm not buying it," Fin said, falling against his mattress gracefully, tucking his hands under his head. "And you're not stupid."

I sat at the corner of his bed. "You're just saying that because you don't want to be with someone stupid."

Fin laughed. "I wouldn't be with someone stupid to begin with. Which is why I'm with you and not some other guy in our class."

"They're not all dumb," I pointed out. "Look at Faris. He's not dumb."

"Yes, but he's in love with Cameron."

"Okay, Cameron is dumb."

"He's oblivious."

"Dumb."

Fin jabbed me with his foot. "Why do we always talk about your friends' love life and not ours?"

"What love life?"

"Funny," Fin said, but there was a tone in his voice that had me leaning towards him.

"Let's talk about it, then."

"I want to meet your mom."

I groaned. "You already have."

"Not like that. I met her as your friend."

I considered it. "Fine. I don't know how she'll take it."

"That you're with a boy?"

"Yeah. I never spoke to her about that stuff, the subject never came up."

"She loves you," he said. "I'm sure it'll work out. Besides, aren't artists usually open minded?"

I shrugged. "I guess."

Fin slipped his hand in mine before tugging me towards him. "Come here."

"Shouldn't we discuss what I saw? When will we head over to your uncle's?"

Fin reluctantly sat up in his bed. "You have a point. I wish I could forget about it, y'know? Pretend it's not really there?"

I nodded. "Same."