11

Finnicks POV:

My body goes numb.

"Did that just happen?" Haymitch says breathlessly.

"I- I don't even know." I lower my head.

It sucks that both of my tributes are dead now. They were both great people. It was an honor to know them. But now, it's even worse. No one is protecting Avon now.

There's only four tributes left including her. However, two out of the four are a allies. Then there is Bock. He's specifically looking for her.

The allied pair includes a girl from district one and a boy from district eleven.

The girls name is Elle. She's a pro when it comes to knife throwing.
She can hit a target from at least 100 feet away and the target is moving.

The boys name is is Arrow. He can bust someone's skull right open with his own hands. He's very gory. He's known for that.

"Finnick. I know you don't want to face this but..."

"No, Haymitch! I'm not faint anything."

"Listen here pretty boy. I don't want her to be slaughtered either. However, look who she is up against. This is inevitable." Haymitch finishes.

"I know. But I'm not giving up on her yet. I'm still betting on her."

He stares at me intensively. I look back to the screen and all of the other tributes are still asleep.

Avon is still in the tree. The mutts are gone. They turned into dust once the sun started came up.

Her cheeks are tear stained. Her eyes are this beautiful bright hazel color. But her orbs are still full of tears.

Her leg is burnt really badly. Her skin once smooth, now scared.

She has scratches on her face from fighting. Her lips look a pale color. Almost blue from the cold.

"I'm betting on you."

-
Avon's POV:
-

"AGHHH!" I scream in pain as I put some water on my burn.

Even if I were going to live this burn would never completely heal.

I take a couple of deep breaths to calm myself down. I'm absolutely freezing right now and am practically shaking to death.

I grab the two blankets and wrap myself in them.

The blankets they gave us are thermal and very warm. However, I'm still freezing. I'm so cold my mind goes numb.

-
"Zalock, put me down!" I laugh.

"Not until you say I'm your favorite brother." He says as he starts to tickle me.

"NEVER!"

"Okay, have fun living on my shoulder for the rest of your life." He taunts.

"FINE." I groan. "You are my favorite brother ever." I roll my eyes.

"See that wasn't so hard!" He says setting me down.

"Avon my sweet darling this is your dress for today." Says my mother coming into the living room.

"Thanks mom!" I smile.

I run up to my room and throw the pale pink dress on that she had given me.

Today is my first reaping day. I'm twelve years old, Liam is sixteen, and Zalock is nineteen.

I throw on my shoes and walk back down the stairs and into the living room where my family is.

"Kids. We want you to know that whatever happens today, be strong." My father says.

My father says this to the boys each year of the reaping. I've gotten used to hearing it being said but I've never had it said directly to me.

"Avon. Are you nervous?" He asks.

"Yeah." I chuckle.

"Honey I doubt you will be reaped today." My mother comforts.

Honestly I'm not the slight bit nervous about myself. It's my brothers I'm worried about.

We've watched the games each year and the careers that are in the arena would kill them instantly.

We all bow our heads for our annual reaping prayer and then we are on our way.

---

As soon as we arrived at the justice building my finger was pricked and then I was separated from my entire family.

It was quiet but then a video started playing. It started talking about panem and the districts. The games.

I've heard this for years on end now and know every word of it. I've been coming to this ever since I was around eight.

The video stops and then I hear the sound of heels hitting the stage.

"Welcome to the seventy first annual hunger games. It's so great to see all of you again." Effie stops.

"Well, as usual. Ladies first!" She smiles. Effie walks over to the glass ball and collects a name quickly.

"The girl tribute from district five in this years hunger games.....
Is

"Novain Dupell!"

Then reaches for the boys names.

She walks back and grabs one.

"The male tribute from district five is.....

Liam Dartnell."

I'm shocked. I stand with my mouth wide open. Tears fill my eyes.

"NO!" I cry as he walks out of the crowd. I run to him, only to be pulled back by peace keepers.

"NO!" I cry again.

"Avon. No it's going to be okay." Says Liam.

"Liam. No!" Yells Zalock.

The peace keepers pull me back and push Liam along up on the stage.

"I volunteer!" Yells and all to familiar voice.

My stomach is a pit. I can't loose him.

"Well well... We have a volunteer." Says Effie.

"Come on up here." She says.

"ZALOCK!" I scream. I'm crying and kicking the peace keepers. They can barely hold me down.

"AGHHH!" I yell.

"WIN Zalock. WIN!" I say.

Then I feel a slight pinch in my neck. They drugged me. Just as I was about to pass out he says..

"I promise!"