15

Avon's POV:

I sit down on the train and breath a little bit. I don't see how Effie does it. I hate all of this makeup, the big hair, and the scratchy tight clothes. I'm so ready to get in my t-shirt and pants when I get home.

The Capitol isn't to far from my district whenever you are going about 400 miles an hour. I'll be home soon.

I wonder what my "fake" funeral is going to be like. I know it's going to be big. Effie's planning it for Christ sakes.

It's just... How long do I have to be ... "dead"? Until snow dies?

I don't know.

I wonder what Finnick is going to think. He's like a brother to me. Maybe that's why he cares about me so much. He must think of me like a sister. I'm only fourteen. He's seventeen. There's no way he can think of me as anything else.

I do feel bad though... For not letting him know the truth about what's going to happen.

I don't even think my family should know I'm alive. I would hate for them to get hurt because they know about me being alive. But, I have to go home.

Maybe I can hide somewhere other than the house. I don't know. I'll talk to them.

All of a sudden my body jolts forward a little bit.

"We have arrived at district five" says a voice through the speakers.

I get up as the doors open and I get off of the train.

The smell hasn't changed one bit. It smells fresh. Our district isn't poor. But, we're not as wealthy as the Capitol of course. We're better off than most districts.

The train station is empty. No one ever leaves.

I walk through the train station and walk through my district. It's in the afternoon and it's sort of empty until you get more into the district.

I walk on the side walks which look redone. I wonder if the Capitol did this.

I turn a corner and see some people.

I seemed to have caught their attention because they look frightened.

I continue walking to my house. Once I get there I see my brother outside painting the house.

"Nice job with the paint." I say simply.

It caught him off guard. He ended up dropping the paint bucket all on the ground.

"What are you doing here?" He says rolling his eyes and picking up the can.

"Well I live here don't I?"

He stops cleaning up the mess he made. He turns around and walks closer to me.

He looks me in the eyes...

"Avon?" He asks hopefully.

"Shhh. We need to get inside." I say.

I run inside quickly with him trailing behind me.

When I enter the house, it smells like freshly cut apples. I love that smell.

"Mother, Father, come see who came to visit us." Says Liam.

I wait for them to appear in front of me.

"Oh Ms. Trinket. I'm so sorry our house is a wreck. If we had known you were coming we would have straightened up a little bit. Excuse the mess." My mother says to me.

I'm laughing so hard inside right now.

I throw off the wig and fake eyelashes and reveal my real face.

"Avon?" My father asks.

"It's me." I smile.

My family rushes and engulfs me into a hug.

"Y-your back." Says my Father.

"Like I told you she would be." My mother says.

"Wait why are you back?" Asks Liam. "Don't you have things to do at the Capitol?"

"That's the thing. Tomorrow, Panem will think I'm dead." I say sitting on the couch.

"What? What does that mean?" Asks father.

"Snow wasn't going to let me go. That would have been impossible. So Haymitch said I should disappear. Long story short, I'll probably get to see my own "fake" funeral on television." I sigh.

"What do we need to do?" Asks mother.

"Haymitch said I need to stay inside at all times. If I ever hear peace keepers coming to check and make sure I'm not here then I have to hide." I say.

"It's not safe for you to be in this house then." Says father.

"We have the huge underground shelter. You can stay there. But we are not taking any chances."