17

Finnick's POV:

White roses are everywhere. Down the walk ways, on all of the flowers sent, and on her casket.

The casket is a beautiful shiny black with golden carvings.

I sit lifelessly in my chair. Everyday is just more pain. Everyday feels like I'm being locked down even more.

I've never been one to break down and shut everyone out. I didn't know what it felt like until now. I'm breaking down. I know it.

"Would anyone like to come up and say a couple of words for the deceast Victor?" Asks the peacekeeper.

This makes me frustrated. A peacekeeper? I mean they couldn't have gotten anyone else to do the funeral? She wouldn't have wanted this.

"I will." Says Effie.

Of course...

She walks op to the podium beside the casket with her bright yellow dress on.

"I didn't know Avon for that long. The day I met her she was so fragile. She was so lost. I knew she was scared. But, when she got to the Capitol, she became a leader and a strong young woman. I knew she never really liked me, however, I really did love her. She was an amazing Victor. I was thankful to know her." She says tearing up at the end.

I have tears in my eyes as well. It's the truth. She really was an amazing victor.

She walks over to the casket and places her hand on it.

"Rest in Peace my darling."

As she walks away Haymitch walks up to the podium.

He just stands their for a moment...

"Most of you knew her as a small, scared, unlucky little girl. Some of you think of her as the opposite. But let me tell you, she was the most absolute worth victor to have lived. She was fourteen. She was chosen for the games. She was going against twenty three other tributes. All were careers. She made it out alive. I don't care what anyone says. If that's not brave, or strong, or powerful.... I don't know what is."

He walks over to her casket and kisses it. Of course tears are rolling down my face.

"Anyone else?" Asks the peace keeper.

I stand to my feet and walk up to the podium.

I'm lost in words. I don't know how to explain what she meant to me.

"Hi. I'm Finnick Odair. I knew Avon a lot better than most people. I met her the night she arrived at the Capitol. All I could remember thinking when I first saw her is "wow, she is beautiful." I got the pleasure to become friends with her before the games. We grew close. Before she left for the arena she said "Finnick, believe that their is someone who loves you in this world. Don't take time or love for granted." She made me believe in love. She made me think that one day I can be happy with someone. Her. I wanted to come home to her everyday and just see her smile. She could always make me smile whenever she did. I love you Avon Dartnell. Forever and always."