Hearing Lyric

Prologue

Lyric's POV

I groaned as I heard the faint voice, "Get you're lazy ass up for school!"

"I'm already up." I mumbled to myself as I brushed out my thick hair. I stared at the mirror for a few seconds, not knowing where to start. I could start with the dark bruise that covered my cheek or the dark circles around my eyes that clearly showed that I hadn't gotten enough sleep in a while.

I picked up my concealer, brushing it onto my face as I attempted to cover both at once. I let my mind wander as I continued with my daily routine. This was something that I did often, I tended to space out quite a bit; more so when I was home.

There are two things that I want in this world, both of which are impossible. They are the things that I dream about, the things that I strive for every day. I know I won't ever be able to do either of them, but I can still pretend, right?

The first one is to let people listen to my music. To let them hear the words that I can't speak, but can sing instead. Music is something that I have always loved, and that would never stop, not ever. I learned how to play piano at the shockingly young age of five, practically mastering it by the time I was eight. It was something that came naturally to me, as well as it should have seeing that my mother was a very well known songwriter. I wanted to be able to share my passion with others who felt the same, people who loved music just as much as I did. I dreamed of being on a stage practically every night since I was ten.

The other thing that I want is a bit more complicated. I want to hear again. I want to hear every single note that I played, I want to hear every ones voices rather than read their lips. I was eight when I lost my hearing, due to a... not so pleasant encounter. I am not completely deaf, I can hear if people are loud enough. I can hear the piano as if it was through a sound proof room; so quiet you think you're imagining it. I hated it, I absolutely envied the people who took their hearing for granted. The people who say that it wouldn't be that bad to be deaf, that I should be lucky that I can't hear certain things.

The truth is, I would be more than happy to hear all of the unpleasent things in their lives. I would be more than willing to sit in a room with a crying baby or have someone constantly honk their horn at me if it meant I could hear. You don't realize what you have until you don't have it anymore, I learned that the hard way. I would do anything to listen to the sound of sneakers hitting the sidewalk, to listen to the sound of the leaves rustling in the wind. I had that taken away from me at a young age, something that made it extremely difficult to cope with.

The first few years of losing my hearing was challenging to say at the least. I went from having perfect hearing to hardly any in the matter of seconds, something that not a lot of people; especially young children have to deal with. I had to learn a lot, I struggled to learn sign language and how to read lips. I had to pretty much relearn how to talk seeing as I couldn't hear what I was saying. It was frustrating, the fact that I had to do all of these things while everyone else got to go outside and play. While they were jumping rope and following each other down the slide I was stuck inside, learning how to say words.

As much as I hated it, I didn't let it get me down. I practiced and practiced until I got the hang of it. After a while I realized the patterns of words, how to shape my mouth when saying certain sounds. Soon enough I was back outside with everyone else, playing on the playground. Of course, I knew that it wasn't the same. My classmates would avoid me and I would catch glimpses of what they were saying, wheather it was freak or weirdo or loser. Throughout the years the tormenting never stopped, if anything I would say that it got worse. After a while I started to not want to go outside, I was drawn to the small music room that we had in my elementry school. Soon enough I was spending my days there, remembering when my mom taught me how to play; remembering what each key sounded like and how they sounded together.

I am lucky that I have one friend though. I couldn't help but smile at the thought of her. Sophie is a giant ball of energy, always jumping around and smiling. She was the only person that I could really think of that didn't care about my hearing. She liked me for me, which is something that no one really takes the time to know. I don't understand how she can manage to be popular even though she spends most of her time with me, but she somehow manages. She's beautiful, which might be a factor as to why she is so popular. With chocolate brown eyes and the same shade of hair that falls down to her shoulders it's hard to find any fault in the girl that I call my best friend.

I sighed as I set down the sponge, figuring that although you could still see the outline of the bruise it would have to do. I looked myself over in the mirror, trying to find anything about me that was actually good. I couldn't, all that I saw was a pale girl with black hair and grey eyes. She looked like she needed a good week of sleep and a real meal. She was wearing a pair of skinny jeans that seemed to fall off of her hips and a oversized zip up sweatshirt. knowing this was the best I could do I walked out of the bathroom quietly, not wanting my dad to hear me.

My father and I didn't exactly get along. Ever since my mother had passed away he has more or less just kind of tossed me to the side. He picked up drinking long before her accident but it seemed as though it got worse as time moved on. One thing about my dad was that he was not a happy drunk, he was very, very violent. Every oppurtunity that he got he would be screaming in my face, calling me a bitch or a slut, after a while you learn to ignore it. But there is only so much you can ignore. After I stopped responding to the verbal abuse the physical abuse started. He was constantly getting mad over the tiniest things, taking out his anger by hitting me.

After a while though, you tend to get used to it. You train yourself not to scream, not to cry. You just become this shell of a person. Like me, there but not really.

"You best get you lazy ass to school." I heard his barely there voice scream as I walked down the stairs.

"I'm going." I said softly as I opened the door.

Time for school, my personal hell.

A/N Hey guys so this is my first story on wattpad and this idea just came to me last night. I'm kind of new to this so please be nice? My friend told me to put this story up here to see if anyone would like it, so Vote/Comment? I'll love you forever and maybe give you a taco, (cuz you know tacos are awesome:D)

-NeverSayNever96/ or Re'Anna :)

9/24/12 A/N: Hey, so this is edited and I hope you like it! comment and vote still, I will try to respond to everyone!

Re'Anna