Ward

San Martin Provincial Hospital. Day 32 as a volunteer. 5:00 a.m.

------------------------------------------------

Althea braced herself to face another challenging day at the hospital. She opened the door and was welcomed by an unusually quiet lobby. There were no signs of wounded people waiting for first aid or refugees sleeping on the floor from exhaustion, nor any doctors and nurses trying their best to provide quality care for far too many patients at once. There were however, 3 patients sitting near the information desk with a nurse and an assistant checking their vital signs. The amused Althea proceeded to the nurse's station to report for duty.

"Althea, you're here!" A short lady in a nurse's uniform smiled at her.  "I hope you had your coffee, you're cranky without caffeine!"  The nurse who was about in her mid- 30's laughed.

"Hey, I'm probably the most patient person you know!" She chuckled.

 "I'm awake and ready to face another day, thanks to your coffee Ate Linda!, I mean Ma'am!"

"Someone's in a good mood! Very well, let's get to work shall we?" She motioned Althea to write down her duties for the morning.

"Go to Ward 2. Check Nanay Fely's blood pressure. Sir Dan has fever, get his temperature. Mia's diaper needs changing. Clean Reggie's wound. Change the beddings.." Althea diligently took note of her superior's orders and went to see the patients.

--------------------------------------- 

The Ward.

---------------------------------------

The spacious area accomodated 6 hospital beds on its opposite sides. Enormous arched windows let plenty of natural light in while it's white pained walls gave the a room a cleaner look. 

Althea noticed some of beds were empty and wondered what happened to the patients who slept there the day before. 

Right now, there were only 5 patients in the room. Nanay Fely - a diabetic refugee, Sir Dan - an officer with an amputated leg, Mia - a little girl under probation, Reggie - a refugee who was shot in the knee. 

The fifth patient was a new one. Althea caught a glimpse of her. The woman slept with the bed curtain party opened so you can slightly peek inside, although the hospital bed was at the far side of the room.

The sun was already shining when Althea finished attending to her patients. 

"Done." She scanned her checklist and felt accomplised.

She was about to leave the room when she remembered the new patient who hasn't moved since Althea came in.

"Must be a refugee.."  The nursing assistant murmured.

Althea noticed the slumbering figure move slightly. She went closer to check if the patient's awake so she could change the girl's bedcovers. 

The Nursing Assistant felt her heart flutter as she neared the hospital bed. 

Curiosity taking over, she slowly parted the bed curtain...

Althea froze when she found the woman awake. 

The patient had an air of mystery about her. She fashioned a loose brown shirt and tattered pants which contrasted her elegant features. And eventhough she looks exhausted, her charm cannot be denied.

Heaven knows what the lovely girl had been through to get there alive, but what really got the nursing aides' attention was the necklace hanging on the patient's neck.

It was a beautiful golden chain with a perfectly shaped dove pendant which glowed in the morning sunlight.

 Althea couldn't mistake it...