Trail

Somewhere only they know. Time unknown.

*****Althea's POV*****

------------------------------------------------------------------

The place was foggy and the sky was overcast. I found her sitting at the edge of a stone bridge over a deep gorge. She glanced at me once then resumed to staring blankly at the misty river below. 

A portion of her face was hidden. Nevertheless, I knew her right away.

How I missed her.

"Jade!" I called out. 

She smiled at me, then averted her gaze.

Curiously, Jade slowly stood up with her eyes fixed over the still water. I can read her face like a book. 

I knew right away that she's thinking of jumping.

She took a deep breath and a small step. The tip of her toes hanging over the edge of the stone railing.

My heart quavered as my feet trailed the mossy concrete. The old bridge was slippery and the fog was getting thicker. I couldn't see the ground I was running on but I can see Jade's silhouette from afar.

"Jade no!"  Hoping I would get to her in time. 

Then suddenly..

I found myself hanging on for dear life!

My arms were anchored against the stoney ground, while the rest of me dangled over the deep river beneath it. 

There was a big hole in the bridge. I realized I fell into it. 

I held on to the conctrete while thick fog continued to devour the whole place. Turning it into a cold wasteland until I couldn't see Jade anymore. 

Then, I heard a splash in the water!

I froze in horror.

"Lubb.. no!.. you promised you would stay.." I whispered. 

How could she?... How could she leave me?..  How could she give up so easily?..

I was in complete shock. 

My arms were slowly slipping from the mossy ground.

There was still some strength left in my body yet I figured..

What's the use of holding on when my reason to live is gone? 

So I would save myself and then what? Move on and pretend that everything is fine and dandy when I'm nothing inside but broken and hollow.

Who am I fooling? ...

I'm tired of life.

I should let go.. and face my watery grave. Do myself a favor.. and be at peace at last!

I closed my eyes and took one last breath.

"Althea no!"  I heard a voice cry out. Her hands gripping my arms tightly. 

I couldn't believe it! 

If she would have been late for even a second, I'm a goner. 

She came to my rescue. Just in time.

"Jade?"  All my sorrows suddenly melted away.

"Hold on!.. I'm not letting go Althea!" Jade replied teary-eyed as she pull me out of the hole. 

"What were you thinking?" I scolded.  As if I wasn't guilty of the same thing.

 Jade shook her head apollogetically.