Reunion

The Guevarras' Residence. 7: 15 am. December 3.

--------------------------------------

Sun rays peeked through the window pane as they entered the dining room. Breakfast was served on the table complete with flowers in a crystal bowl at the center. Just a few steps away from the dining area was the kitchen with nothing but a gas stove, a small fridge, a rice cooker, a sink and some wooden cabinets.

Ate Linda wiped the pot with a dishtowel and nodded at the two upon seeing them. Althea greeted the nurse with a smile and pulled a chair out for Jade, then she sat on the opposite side of the table, facing the mysterious girl. Jade stared at the flowers while they waited for Ate Linda.

Finally, the nurse joined them and they started eating.  Aside from the soup, there was the loaf bread which Ate Linda found in Tatay's bakery. She threw the moldy parts away and left the "still edible" side intact. It was wartime. Food was scarce and nothing should not be wasted. 

No one talked until the nurse decided to break the ice.

"So.. how are you doing Jade?" The nurse glanced and scooped some soup from the bowl.

"Alright. Thanks." Jade shyly answered and took a small bite of bread. 

Althea was rehearsing answers in her head for possible questions Ate Linda might ask her, when she caught the nurse's attention.

"Althea.. you can't go back to the hospital. " The nurse said sternly. 

Althea remained quiet. Even though Ate Linda is family, the nurse was still her boss.

The nurse continued with a hint of worry in her voice.

"I understand you just want to help Jade but you know it's against the rules to take in- patients home. With everyhing that's happening at the hospital, they may get suspisious of you. You need to lay low for while. I'll tell them you're looking for your family." 

Althea was about to say something when Jade stood up. 

"Nurse Linda, Althea has nothing to do with this. It was my idea to come here 'cause I thought she was missing too and I was worried. Please don't fire her!" 

Ate Linda raised her eyebrow. This was the first time Jade talked to her in full sentences.

"It's alright Jade, I can still visit you at the hospital. Remember what we talked about?" Althea reassuringly placed her hand over Jade's and the latter went back to her seat.

"Relax, no one's getting fired. I'm just thinking that it would be safer if Althea takes a short leave from work. If they find out that you ran away to see Althea, she can get suspended. How did you get here by the way?"

Jade gazed at Althea. 

Althea nodded which meant the nurse can be trusted. 

Jade spoke, almost whispering.

"I.. I have a friend who used to live in this part of San Martin. She helped me get here."

"She's from here? What's her name? Maybe I know her." Ate Linda inquired. Something was off with this "friend" and the nurse was eager to find out.

A dull ache was forming inside Jade's head.

Jade remained quiet but Ate Linda wanted to squeeze out more answers from her. The nurse suspects that Jade's mysterious friend is involved with the other disappearances.

"Where does she live now? " The nurse couldn't stop herself from asking.

Tiny sweat beads were forming around Jade's forehead. She looked extremely uncomfortable while the nurse bombarded her with questions like they were on a job interview.