Memory

Ate Linda's House. December 1. 6:00 p.m.

*WARNING. This Chapter contains some graphic descriptions. *

---------------------------------

The sun was down. The glimmer of the sunset lingered over the horizon and the sound of chirping crickets started to resonate in the backround. 

"Jade?"  Althea met Jade's piercing gaze. 

Jade looked down and hid the necklace under her shirt.  Althea wanted to stop her but she couldn't take her gaze off the mysterious girl

 Althea remained still.

Jade broke the silence between them. 

"She told me about you." 

"Who?"  Althea asked in confusion.

"The woman who took me to the garden." 

"A nurse from the hospital?" Althea inquired. She wondered how Jade got into the garden when everyone in the hospital was busy panicking at that time.

"I don't know. Could you take me back now please?"

Curiosity nagged Althea. She wants some answers and can sense Jade's hiding something.

"No. Tell me first where you're from and how you came by that necklace."  

"You can't keep me here against my will." Jade replied, blaming herself for trusted the nursing assistant in the first place.

"I just want answers. I'll get you back to your hospital bed safe and sound, after you answer my questions." The nursing assistant asserted.

"I'll scream!" Jade's hand was clutching the armrest, thinking of an escape plan in case Althea was serious on kidnapping her.

Althea raised an eyebrow, amused at the other girl's defensiveness. She has no intentions of kidnapping an innocent truamatized wounded patient, she's not that twisted (not yet at least). She was simply amazed to see a different expression on Jade's face aside from her usual ice cold look.

"No one will hear you." She cockily replied, challenging Jade.

Jade couldn't hide the agitation in her eyes. Althea could feel the tension building up and felt guilty. She hated seeing the patient upset especially if she's to blame for it.

Her eyes softened.

"I..I shouldn't have said that Jade, I'm sorry. Let's get you back to the ward before someone catches us." 

Jade didn't reply but still seemed uneasy. Althea pushed Jade's wheelchair off the porch and  managed to make it to the lobby without getting caught. Hospital personel were still busy fixing the mess that the supposed air raid left inside the building. They just ignored the two when they passed by the hallway.

Althea and Jade finally reached the ward.  After exchanging smiles with her other patients (who are all okay), she parked Jade's wheelchair beside the bed. 

"Wait here please."  Althea left Jade with a puzzled look. 

Minutes later Althea was back with some clean sheets.

"After everything that happened, I still haven't changed your bed sheets!" Althea chuckled softly to lighten the mood and readied the clean sheets.

"I saw Gary, dinner will be served soon. I told him to get you a straw in case you need it." 

Jade forced a small smile. 

Althea continued talking as she smoothened the new bed covers and folded the dirty ones.