Found

San Martin Tent City. December 16. 8:00 p.m.

**Althea's POV

-----------------------------

Stars. They have illuminated the skies and witnessed history pass by even before the word forever was invented... and here they are, still shining... smiling down on us.

I lay awake under the stars thinking of how frangible life could be.

Life is beautiful and meaningful because it is fragile. You can lose it in a blink of an eye...in any given place, in any given time... in peace... especially in war. 

I closed my eyes.

One day... 

All the heartaches, pain and misery shall pass and be forgotten...

Five days has passed since the San Martin bombings and still no news about Ate Linda and Jade. The enemy and the government agreed on a ceasefire. No one knows how long the truce will last. Nevertheless, people on both countries are celebrating, savoring the momentary peace.  

Welcome to Tent City. Refugees stayed in large tents here. Somewhere we can sleep, eat, bathe and be safe in general. 

Adjacent to the refugee's tent was the makeshift hospital which covered most of the area. There were seperate tents allocated for each "class" of patient. There's one for the wounded and injured, another for the sick, an isolation room and even a small operating room. 

Everyday I go around the tents looking for Ate Linda and Jade but to no avail, I haven't seen them in any. I miss them so much and so I volunteered as a nursing assistant at the first aid station. At least I could help others and the same time, it occupied my worried mind. 

Sadly, Ate Linda's house collapsed just like the hospital. I went there yesterday and found some of our clothes and belongings in the rubble. I don't know if our house at the outskirts is still standing though. A lot of work needs to be done at the first aid station and I can't go home yet. Not until I find Ate Linda or Jade.

At night, the sleeping area is always full and just like street parking, it's first come first serve. They asked me to sleep outdoors tonight because of that and I accepted. I was actually glad because I need some peace and quiet. I wanted to escape reality even just for a night and be alone with my thoughts under the open sky. 

I found a safe spot near the dunes to rest on. 

My body felt tired, exhausted. Yet after all the tossing and turning on my sleeping mat, I still couldn't get myself to sleep. My mind was plagued with thoughts which kept me awake. 

What if the enemy attacks in the middle of the night?... Will I ever see Ate Linda and Jade again?.... Are they still alive?...What happened to Migoy?.....Why does he want the necklace?...

I sat up and took Jade's necklace from my pocket. Amazingly, it doesn't have the same effect on me unlike when Jade was there. No visions or panic attacks are triggered so far. The chain and pendant were cold to touch like any normal piece of jewelry. Weird. 

My pensive mood was cut off when I heard footsteps nearby. I quickly hid the necklace and pretended to be asleep.

"Why did you let her sleep outside?"  A familiar voice asked worriedly.

"She said she's okay with it."  A low voice replied.

I felt someone touch my arm.

I shifted and acted like I was disturbed from my slumber. I have no idea why I didn't want them to find out I was awake, but I slowly opened my eyes and yawned.