Siren

San Martin Provincial Hospital. 2:00 p.m. December 1.

------------------------------------------------

Althea did her best to compose herself while looking for a handtowel and a basin. The stubborn patient was already awake. One of the nurses woke the girl up to give her meds. Althea saw the nurse trying to coax the girl into taking her medicine just minutes ago when she went to see little Mia. She reminded herself that she's simply doing her job, although she can't stop her heart from fluttering.

"Okay, let's get this over with Atlhea..  so we can go home and rest!" Ignoring her nerves as she opened the door to finish the "task".

The girl was sitting on a wheechair. Althea noticed a small smile on the girl's face who has her eyes fixed on the garden outside her window. The patient immediately sensed someone was watching her. She slightly turned her head and saw the nursing assistant standing near the door, holding a basin and a handtowel.

 Althea gave her a shy smile and filled the basin with clean water from the bathroom. Then she carefully placed the "sponge bath kit" on the table near the bed. 

"It's a lovely day, don't you think?" Althea said nonchalantly as she squeezed the excess water from the towel. As usual, the girl didn't reply and gave Althea a cold untrusting look.

Althea knew what that look meant so she sat on the bed and faced the patient.  "I'll make you a deal. If you let me help you with this, I promise I'll take you out to the garden before I go home. Agree?" She offered a hand shake.

The patient just stared at her.

"I'll take that as a yes."  Althea said calmly.

Using a soft towel, Althea gently washed the patient's hands and arms. The wet cloth continued its way up to the girl's shoulders.. around her neck.. up to her lovely face. With hands slightly shaking, the small piece of cloth reached the girl's smooth nape.. then down it went to her lithe frame, careful not to touch her wounds. The nervous nursing aide reluctantly pushed the girl's loose pants up thigh length, revealing the girl's legs. Althea's heart broke. They were covered in scratches, cuts and bruises. She could only imagine what happened to the poor girl and couldn't even look at her while she carefully washed the patient's legs (which in her mind also seemed to go on forever). She composed herself and continued to wipe the girl's feet with the wet towel.. then went up the knees.. until she reached the part where the knees and the thighs meet, where she stopped. 

All the while, the patient remained still on her wheelchair unaware of the inner battle inside Althea's mind. She had no plans of protesting anyways when she saw the nursing assistant by the door with a basin and a towel in hand. Right now she's clean and feels refreshed. Althea on the other hand, was as red as a tomato. She had to dip the towel in the basin many times to stop her hands from shaking. Her heart was beating crazy and she hated herself for it. 

She hurriedly threw the excess water from the basin.. took the hand towel.. pushed the patient's wheelchair near the window where she found her and stormed out the ward.

"Get a hold of yourself Althea! What's wrong with you?"  Scolding herself while drinking a glass of cold water. Even with scratches, the girl's skin was as delicate as expensive porcelain. Althea can't forget the few times her hand accidentally brushed against girl's soft skin. She can feel her cheeks burn at the thought of it and it made her blush even more. She added another ice cube to her drink.

"Relax, you're just tired."  She took a deep breath and calmed herself. It's been a long day and she can't wait to go home. However, before she could call it a day she needs to keep her part of the bargain. She sighed and finished her glass of iced water.