Miracle

****San Martin Outskirts. Exact time unknown.*****

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Althea loosens her grip on Jade upon hearing the latter mention Grace's name.

"What does she want?" The nursing assistant asked in a worried tone.

Jade stood up and shook her head. 

"Nothing. She's angry with me for taking the necklace. Joy's soldiers are searching for it as we speak. Don't worry, she's gone now."

"So you have the necklace with you? I thought the guard took it."

"I don't have it. You do." Jade threw a curious gaze at Althea's pocket.

The latter met the former's gaze with confusion. She dug inside her pocket and felt something cold brush against her fingers. Althea's face lit up in wonder as she found the dove pendant resting on her palm. 

"How did this-?.." She asked in amusement. Surprised at her discovery.

Jade chuckled and placed her hand over Althea's open palm.

"Keep it safe." She smiled.

"Jade, you didn't answer my question. How did your necklace end up in my pocket?" The pendant glowed as they spoke.

"Well.. before you left the house, I slid the necklace inside your pocket. Nanay warned me about the soldiers so I thought it'd be safer with you. Joy is not after you Lubb, it's the least that they would expect.. and it worked."

"So you knew about Joy's plan all along?" Althea replied with furrowed eyebrows. Doing her best to calm down.

"Not that she'll drug you and put you in a box, no. I warned you about Joy but you didn't listen. Now that you know that she's up to no good, I hope you finally believe me."

Althea sighed in defeat. Jade was right. Joy should not be trusted and she felt it all along. But she chose to ignore her intuition because the officer saved her life before.

The nursing assistant carefully placed the necklace back inside her pocket.

"What do we do now?"  She asked, changing the topic.

"Your Nanay says follow the path. I don't know Althea, but she wants us to find Joy and your brother. It seems like they have the notebook."

Althea crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow.

"But that would be risking it! What makes her think that we can barge right into Joy's territory without getting fired at by soldiers? It doesn't make sense Jade. Can I talk to Nanay?" She demanded in an irritated tone.

Jade laughed at the latter's childish response.

"Much as I want to, but I'm afraid she doesn't want to talk to you Lubb. Not with that tone."

"How come? I'm not going to scold her or anything. I just want to ask her something. It's really important that I talk to her." She frowned. 

Althea found a white pebble on the ground and threw it in annoyance. It landed on an Aratiles tree nearby.

"Ouch!" 

Althea and Jade looked at each other. Without hesitation, the former started walking towards the tree. Jade followed along with an anxious look in her eyes.

Tall grass surrounded the Aratiles so you can't see much beyond it. At that instant, they heard a rustle coming from behind the tree. They were not alone.