Evergreen

The Dark Woods. San Martin. Date and Time unknown.

*Althea's POV*

------------------------------------------------------

My feet took me to the deepest part of the woods, to where the trees almost covered the sky and twigs lay on the damp ground along with fallen leaves which made the terrain slippery. The figure disappeared in the shadows halfway through, and I was left on my own. I found a sharp rock and used it to mark the trees while I searched for signs of her. I was lost, tired and afraid.

"Jade!!"  I called out desperately. "Jade!!" I repeated. My knees felt weak from running and the never ending row of trees in the darkness daunted me. 

"Jade come back, don't leave me here!" I yelled out which startled a sparrow resting on a tree branch.

Not long after, I heard the sound of rustling leaves not far from where I was. I looked around and the sound disappeared, so I continued walking. Then there it was again, louder and nearer this time. I turned around and found nothing. I picked up a fallen tree branch and tightened my grip on the rock marker I was holding. I took a deep breath to calm myself and walked on.

Someome or something is following me. I maintained my pace and glanced back - it's a wild boar! And it's hurrying towards me! 

Adrenalin kicked in as soon as it was about to charge. I ran as fast I could, ignoring sharp twigs along the way which left small scratches on my arms. I ran without looking back, not paying attention to where I was going until my lungs couldn't take it anymore. My heart was pounding heavily and I was gasping for air.

I turned around and the wild boar was gone to my relief. I heard they can be territorial so maybe it just wanted me out of its territory.

Anways, I was spent but at least I'm safe. I fell to the ground, catching my breath.

 Everything around me turned hazy but I kept my eyes wide open.

Wait... 

Is that a house? 

It took all the strength I have to stand up. I was tired, not to mention I haven't eaten anything since I "came back from the dead". Slowly but surely I moved my legs and started walking, right foot forward.. then left.. then right.. then left again. 

I was glad to know I wasn't hallucinating. It was indeed a house, and it was big. The wooden structure was elevated from the ground about two or three meters high and was nestled in between eight sturdy trees like a hidden oversized log cabin / tree house. 

Panting, I miraculously reached the base of the wooden staircase and took a good look at the house. At the end of the staircase was the main door. Just like the rest of the house it was wooden, only a shade darker and looked more medieval with strips of black painted steel outlining the edges. I gazed up and scanned the glass windows above me. Cream colored curtains hid whatever was inside the home.

I wiped the sweat off my face with my hand to make my self look more presentable and knocked. 

Nothing.

I knocked again, louder this time. Still nothing. I turned the doorknob and it was locked from the inside which meant there's someone home.

"Hello?" I knocked again. 

Finally, I saw one of the curtains move and I was relieved. I was just going to ask for directions and a glass of water to quench my thirst. I waited at the porch but the door never opened. 

"I know you're there..I mean no harm." I was dizzy from hunger so I leaned on the door. 

"Go away!" A familiar voice demanded. She may be furious but still, the sound of her voice made my heart skip a beat.