She

Somewhere in San Martin. Time unknown.

******************************************

**Althea's POV**

******************************************

It was almost dusk when Jade and I decided to leave the safety of the tree. With aching feet we walked on until we lost the pathway. Jade lead the way and I followed. Funny she hasn't mentioned her invisible friend yet. That's a bit odd. But I didn't bother to ask her either. All I know is we're far away from Tent City and that's what important.

We held hands to make sure we'll never be parted again, yet we barely spoke. I discovered that our senses are attuned to each other. Like we can read each other's minds. I know when Jade is tired, so we stop to rest. She knows when I'm hungry, so we stop to eat. Lucky for us we're in the country which means fruit bearing trees are not that difficult to find. We had ripe guavas and papaya for breakfast today. Not a bad start at all. 

After hours of trekking, we came across a shallow stream. Oh thank God! It was a life saver 'cause I was tremendously thirsty. My knees feel wobbly, I'm probably dehydrated. 

I was about to scoop the cool liquid using my hands when Jade stopped me.

"Althea don't!  It's not safe. She said you'll get sick if you drink that."  Jade threw me a concerned look. I can sense she's thirsty too.

My heart sank. My body is asking for water but I can't drink from the stream. Cruel world.

I sighed in dismay. "Can you tell She  that If I don't hydrate I'll die anyway. I'm gonna faint any moment now Jade."

"She can hear you Althea. She's  just concerned about our safety."

Until now Jade's friend is giving me the creeps.  I don't think I can trust She until I know who she is.

I cleared my throat.

"Thanks for the concern She, but if you really want to help then show us where to find clean water please.  And while you're at it, could you also show us which way to go? So we won't get killed by soldiers or rebels or taken hostage by Military officials? That would really help!"

"Lubb, you don't have to be impolite. And She's not always available you know, she has other things to do. We still need to look after ourselves and each other from time to time."

I sat down on a boulder to take a rest. The ground near the stream was full of them.  

I took a deep sigh. I was tired, thirsty, and losing it.

"Where does She go then? Let me guess. She works two jobs, she's a single mom with three kids and rents an apartment?"  I chuckled.

Jade shook her head and sat beside me. The rock was big enough to seat both of us. She held my hand and I let her.

"No Althea.." She said in a calm voice.

Am I finally going to know who this She  is?

My heart fluttered in excitement and curiosity. I let Jade continue.

"She was married once, had two kids and she was fond of them. She lost her dove necklace in the river. I was drowning and she saved me. My parents had a jeweler make a new necklace for her as a thank you gift. It was perfect and looked exactly like the one she lost. We became friends right away. But my family decided to leave the town 'cause my parents found someone who supposedly can 'cure' me of my 'illness'.  She was my only friend and I wanted her to come with us but she can't. Before we left, she gave me her necklace. She told me to not cry anymore 'cause she'll be here when I come back. She promised me next time we meet, she'll bring her daughter along so I can have a new friend. I never saw her again. Well.. not the way I expected."