Chapter 23 - Getting to know you

The same routine went on for the four weeks. Wake up, workout, eat, annoy, eat, play pool, study, eat, sleep. I started playing pool to make my life more exciting. It wouldn't help me if I went back to school as a dumbshit so I started studying. I was reading my english paper to Quincy in the canteen. He had grown to hate me less. Kinda. "Well, that was shit," he said right after I finished reading.

"What?!" I gasped, it took me two weeks of hard core studying and writing.

"Well, it's good," he corrected himself, "it's just that you could do better," I sighed realising he was right. I was a bit upset about the essay and Quincy could see this. "Wanna shoot late night pool later?" he asked with his mouth full of stale bread and somthing yellow that they had named "macaronni". "Yeah sure," I mumbled. Pool slots were split in three different sections. Afternoon, evening and late night pool. Late night pool was from 9-11 pm. We both finished our food and started walking out the canteen together. "Let's work out," I suggested and Quincy just nodded. The tense silence was becoming unbearable. I hopped on the bench and started working out. Then I started belting out, "When I walk on the street,

This is what I see.

Everybody stops andstaring at me.

I got a passion in ma pants and I ain't afraid to show it, show it, show it....

I'm sexy and I know it."

The I started thrusting in the air to the beat in my head. I did this for the whole song and by the end Quincy actually smiled! "Well, Quincy Boy! Did that stone cold face of yours actually crack a smile?" I gasped unbeleivably.

"No! I needed to sneeze!" He said defending himself.

"Ohh, that's what it was. Okay. Orrr maybe you actually have a heart!"

"NO! IT WAS A SNEEZE! I'M EVIL! I HAVE A HEART OF PURE STONE! ONCE I PUNCHED A GUY BECAUSE HE WAS UGLY! SEEEE! PURE EVIL!" He protested. In answer I raised my eyebrow not beleiving a word he was saying. Well, a part from the punching an ugly guy, I beleived that 100%. I laughed and went back to my working out and singing halfway through my workout a guard came up to us. "Mr Langun would like to see you immediatly," He said to me. Mr Langun was the head of the prison. "Shit," I muttered. I nodded goodbye to Quincy and followed the guard all the way to Mr Langun's office. I walked in and saw the mid-forties man sitting behind a desk. He looked tired. Not physically but simply tired of life itself. He was a mean man though and knew how to dole out shitty punishments. "Take a seat," he said gruffly not looking up from the papers he was holding. I sat down in the seat and waited for him to speak. And he did. Briefly.

"Looking through your study work I can see you have been trying very hard. You've not gotten in any trouble and your family have been fighting to get you out in bail. So I thought I would comprise. Miss Black, if you don't get in any trouble and keep up the good course work you can be out of this hellhole in for only four more weeks, that's cutting your sentence by nearly half. Now leave." I was speechless. I nodded dumbly and stood up, the guard opened the door and just as I was about to leave Mr Langun spoke one more time, "And Miss Black, if I were you I would rethink about who I was hanging out with," and with that I was pushed out the room. Was he talking about Quincy? No shit! I mentally slapped myself. Who else do I hang around with? I walked towards my cell and saw I had only been in there for five minutes. I couldn't face Quincy so I made my way to my cell and studied until dinner time. I walked into the canteen but didn't get any food. I was thinking too much to be hungry. I sat at my usual table and waited for Quincy, he came five minutes later with two trays of food. He gave one to me and sat down and started eating. "I'm not hungry," I said.

"I don't give a shit. Now eat," He said while taking monster bites of his "beef burger". It was probably just 1% beef and 69% horse. Hmm, speaking of horse I could do with a McDonalds. "Stop drooling and eat it," Quincy snapped. I sighed in defeat and started eating my burger. We walked out the canteen when we finished and started walking aimlessly. "Oi Quincy, do me a favor and die me hair red." I told Quincy Boy.