Twenty Seven

EDITED: December 2020

P.R.O.M

That one day that seniors get to dress up and look their best for a night of pure enjoyment.

Not me.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't even be going to the event, but Kendall's making me go. She says its the one event that I can't miss, no matter how I'm feeling.

I really would have been excited to go, if Theo and I were still together. I even made sure his tie matched the colour of my dress.

This morning, Kendall and mom had woken me up hella early and we headed out to breakfast and then to the spa for a full day of pampering. After that, we headed to the beauty salon to get my hair and makeup done and then it was finally five pm when we headed home so I could actually get dressed.

"Imagine how ridiculous I'm going to look showing up without a date," I mumbled as I grabbed my dress out of my closet.

"Lots of people show up without dates," Kendall said. "I mean, most people only have a date to take pictures before they ditch and have a good time."

"Kenny, is it bad that it's been almost two months yet I still miss him?" I asked sadly.

"Of course not," She said. "Ella, he was your first love. It's not unusual that you still love him."

Saying no more, I took the dress off the hanger and carefully put it on, and then proceeded to put on my jewellery and perfume.

"Ella, you look absolutely gorgeous," Kendall breathed as I stood in front of my full length mirror.

For tonight's event, I had chosen to wear a purple ombre Elie Saab couture dress and a pair of silver Marc Jacobs stilettoes. My hair had been curled and was flowing down my back in light waves and my make up had been done expertly.

"That's a pretty ring. Where'd you get it from?" She asked, looking at the diamond ring on my right hand ring finger.

"Theo gave it to me," I said sadly. "We were out shopping with his little sister and she basically forced him to buy it for me as a 'pre-engagement' ring," I said, laughing a little at how persistent Athena was that day. It was cute though.

"Ella, he will come back to you. I promise," She said, hugging me from behind.

Before I could say anything else, there was a knock on my door.

"Come in," I called, wondering who it was. I mean, my momma doesn't knock so...

"Wow. You look more beautiful than I could have imagined," My father's voice said, causing me to breakout into a grin.

"Daddy!" I exclaimed, running over to him and hugging him. I haven't seen my dad since the day after new years when he came over here to spend some time with me and Kendall.

"You look absolutely stunning, Princess," He said, and then kissed my forehead.

"I'll see you guys downstairs," Kendall said, before hugging dad and then leaving my room.

"I didn't know you were coming," I said to him.

"And miss my babygirl's prom day? Never," He grinned.

"I'm just happy that you're here," I said, hugging him again.

"So, your mom tells me that you've had a lot going on lately," He said as we sat down on my window seat.

"Yeah, I guess," I mumbled.

"That boy was stupid to have let you go," He said.

"Well after what I did, I don't blame him," I sighed.

"It'll all work out in the end, I promise," He said, pulling me into a hug. "I got something for you," He said, pulling a rectangular velvet box out of his blazer pocket.

"Daddy, it's beautiful," I gasped as I opened the box, revealing a silver heart necklace embedded with diamonds.

"I got one for your mother when I took her to our prom, and Kendall also got one on her day, and now it's finally your turn," He said, helping me clip it on.

"Thank you, daddy. I love it," I said, hugging him.

When we had gotten downstairs, mom insisted on doing the whole picture thing before I was finally allowed to leave.

"You look beautiful tonight, Miss Slater," Abe, my driver said to me with a tip of his hat.

"Thanks, Abe," I said, giving him a weak smile.

This was supposed to be my special night. Mine and Theo's special night.

"Abe, could we please make a quick stop?" I asked him, suddenly deciding that tonight's the night when I find out whether Theo and I are really meant to be.

"Forty-six-eight-two Nightingale Way?" He asked knowingly.

"What? How did -"

"Your sister told me you'd probably want to go there," He said with a slight chuckle.

This time last year Kendall and I were ready to murder each other, and now we're closer than ever. I honestly love my sister.

When we had arrived at Theo's house, I quickly put in the security code that opened the gate before knowing that it was due or die time.

My palms were as per usual all sweaty as I rang the doorbell. That really needs to stop happening.

A few moments later, it was answered by Ben who was carrying a sleeping Athena in his arms.

"Ella, hi," He greeted.

"Hey," I said, giving him a weak smile.

"Haven't seen you around in a while," He said. Wait, doesn't he know? "Theo's been a wreck without you." Oh, so he does.

"Is he still here?" I asked.

"Yeah. He's out in his garden," He said, allowing me into the house. "And Ella. Whatever happens, you need to know that he still loves you, no matter what," He said.

"Yeah, okay," I nodded, feeling tears start to well up before heading outside. The walk to the garden was as short as hell and didn't give me much time to actually think about what I was going to say to him.

Sitting on one of the benches with his elbows resting on his knee's and his dark purple tie around his neck not even tied sat the love of my life.

"Theo," I said quietly, catching his attention.

"E-Ella? What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Please can we talk?" I asked, praying he would say yes.

For a moment it was silent, my eyes looking right into his. And then he nodded.

"Okay."