Twenty Eight

EDITED: December 2020

I took a deep breath before speaking. I decided that I would be completely honest with him. 

"Okay, I know I messed up, big time. There aren't even words to describe how much I hate myself for hurting you because I really didn't mean to. I know that band aids don't fix bullet holes, but I really am sorry. Yeah, okay, I admit that it may have been fun and games at first, but then when I first kissed you, that was indescribable. I forgot all about that stupid dare and before I knew it, I was falling completely in love with you."

Feeling the tears start to burn in my eyes, I restricted them from falling before I continued speaking. 

"When you first told me you loved me, that was probably the most amazing moment in my life because I knew that you meant it. But when I said it back, I also meant it. Falling in love with you wasn't supposed to happen, but it did, and I'm glad it did because having you in my life was probably the best thing to ever happen to me."

His blue eyes were fixed on my grey ones, but he still wasn't saying a word. 

"I find myself smiling like an idiot when I think about all the stupid things we did together. Like that time we went out horse riding and I pushed you into the lake and you pulled me in with you and we just spent the entire day just messing around. And then I got sick after that and you took care of me even though I thought you might get sick as well."

I found myself smiling a little at the memory. My smile widened a little more when I saw him smile a little as well. 

"Basically what I'm saying is, I love you, Theo. I really do. All those times that I said and showed it, I meant it. I don't know what Aimee told you, but I never lied about how I feel about you. Everything about that was real. You made me the happiest I've ever been, and these past two months without you have been hell on earth for me, and I know that if you felt anything for me as well, it hasn't been easy for you either."

By now the tears had involuntarily fallen down my cheeks. Thank god the stylist made me wear waterproof mascara and pencil eyeliner.

"Theo, I promise you that if we can work things out, I'll never hide anything from you again. Being without you just genuinely sucks. I know I hurt you a lot, and I hate myself for that, but I want to try again. I want us to be us again."

Still, he said nothing. He just looked at me. 

"You can't say you don't feel anything for me anymore," I said quietly. "I know that if I meant as much to you as you said you did, you'd want to give us another chance."

His continued silence just managed to frustrate me even more. 

"Say something, goddammit! Why aren't you saying anything?" By now I felt like I had bared it all. 

And finally, he did say something. But it wasn't what I wanted to hear. 

"You look really pretty tonight, Ella," He said quietly, before looking down at the ground again. 

He's done with me. Completely and utterly done. 

"I guess this is it," I whispered before giving him one more look and then turned around and left. 

I guess this is the end of us then...

***THEO'SPOV*** (surprise, bitches)

I didn't say anything as I watched Ella walk away. 

I still love her so damn much. But what she did...

But...she wouldn't be here tonight if she didn't care about me, right?

God, she looked absolutely breathtaking. More beautiful than ever. That's the girl that I came to love. She's the one that managed to make me love again after Natalie. 

She's beautiful and funny and still manages to make me fall in love every single time. Being away from her was probably the most difficult thing that I've ever had to do. 

"You fucking fool," I heard my brother's voice say. Looking up at him, his eyes were racked with disappointment and disapproval. "Do you have any idea how important a girl's prom is to her? She chose to come here and try to make things right with you instead of going, only to leave here in tears!"

"Ben, you don't understand," I sighed. 

"But what I do understand is that she loves you, and you love her! Yeah, so she made a mistake! We all have! But what wasn't a mistake was the way you two loved each other!" He preached. 

"Love. The way we love each other," I subconsciously corrected. 

"Then what the hell are you still doing here! Go after her before it's too late!" He said. 

Realising that my brother was right, I stood up, ready to run after the love of my life. But not before I did something. 

I hugged my brother. "Thanks, man. I really needed that."

"No problem," He said, hugging me back. "Now go out there and go get your girl."

Doing just that, I ran across the acred green and through the front door then down the driveway hoping to catch Ella before she left. 

"Ella!" I called, seeing her silhouette down the driveway. "Ella!"

My feet were now running faster than they ever had before, and when I had finally caught up to her, I wanted nothing more than to wrap my arms around her and hold her tight. 

"T-Theo, what are you -"

I didn't let her finish her sentence. I cut her off by crashing my lips against hers. The kiss took her by surprise, but eventually she eased into it and kissed me back. God, I've missed her touch. Her soft, peach tasting lips against mine is something I never want to go without ever again. 

"I still love you," I said, almost out of breath as we pulled away. "I still love you so much and I don't ever want to be without you ever again."

"Y-you still wanna be with me," She stuttered, "despite everything that I did to you?"

"Let's just leave that all in the past, where it belongs. Let's focus on us and our future together," I said, taking her small hands in mine. 

"You want us to have a future together?" She asked quietly. 

"More than anything," I answered. "Ella, be my girlfriend again. I promise we won't let anyone tear us apart again."

"Yeah, okay," She nodded, a new batch of tears falling down her cheeks again. 

"Don't cry, Baby," I said, brushing away the tears with my thumb, "I promised that I would always ruin your lipstick, not your eyeliner."

My heart swelled with glee as I watched her smile, making me smile as well. 

"I love you so much," She whispered as she wrapped her arms around my neck. 

"I love you more, Ella."

And then I kissed her again and held her like my life depended on it, because no matter what, never again would I ever let go of Gabriella Slater.