Chapter 30

"In behalf of Harmin, I would like to express my gratitude for everything that you've done to us.", Petun said as she lowered her head.

"Don't do that, please.", Eve held her arms to save herself from embarrassment. "I'm only doing what any cops should do. Protect and Serve."

The princess shook her head. "No, Lieutenant. Not only you saved my life, you even risked yourself to save our country's dignity. Just like our Goddess that was sent from heaven."

They were at the airport's tarmac, preparing to board one of Roarke's private plane. Petun was now using a crutch, and the facial wounds she had before were starting to fade away.

Beside her was Kyrios, who was holding her for balance.

"We owe you our lives.", he said with a bow. "Even though we're outsiders, or that I broke some of your laws."

"You're just lucky that international laws saved your ass from jail."

"I couldn't believe that Princess Sora would commit a murder for some misunderstandings." Petun murmured. "We talked on some occasions, but that was just a brief conversation. My brother Lamook adored her the most."

When Eve left the Interrogation room, it was Prince Lamook who approached her first. With tears on his eyes, he pleaded for his wife's freedom.

"Even if you cast your golds or lands, or even your dignity for this matter, the lives that was lost will never be returned.", she told him and left.

Even though the person was a dumb jerk, she sensed the sincerity on his emotions.

Because of the controversy, UN took notice of Harminian's royalty murders which might link to Sora's actions.

"The trial will be on closed doors, and if there will be some media leakage, the NYPSD will handle it.", Eve assured them.

"What do you think will happen to Princess Sora?"

"Most likely a lifetime sentence, but I'm not sure which penal colony since there's an involvement with the higher court."

"His royal Highness must be devastated.", Kyrios commented.

Eve couldn't agree more, as well as Roarke who was standing few meters away from them. He haven't heard their conversations but knew what they were talking about.

Despite everything, Lamook was still a friend. That's why Roake stayed with him and lend an ear when he broke down.

"Am I too late to let her know how much I cherished her?", Lamook questioned when he was left alone with Roarke. "I admit I'm daft, but she should've relied on me."

"I can't put myself on your wife's shoes since I haven't experience the ordeals she faced before, and also for the fact that men have different outlooks than women, but as a married person, she must have felt some insecurities."

"I showered her all the affections and luxuries way more than my other wives and concubines."

"Actions speak louder than words." Roarke said, "But words can penetrate hearts."

That's how Lamook realized the meaning behind Eve's words: Who do you favoured most?

"I have a wife - and I'm not planning to take another one - but I never failed to remind her how much I loved her. We have marriage rules, see, and there are cases that one needs to step down for the other, but we learned to cope with it. Marriage is a promise that grows through time, and you need to nurture it in order to preserve its span."

Lamook felt his heart was crushed upon seeing his beloved wife in an orange jumpsuit and was placed in a dull-coloured detention cell. There were thermal cameras on every corner of the room, with two guards outside carrying restraints in the event a prisoner attempted a suicide.

Sora felt his presence, so she looked around and gave a weak smile. "You're not supposed to be here, your Highness."

"Why not? No one can mandate me what to do...or where to go, given on this situation." he replied as he knelt down and kissed her hands. "Did they treat you well?"

She closed her eyes to stop the tears. "I failed you, and I brought shame not only to Harmin but also to the royal family. I never deserve your kindness."

"I'm not here for kindness. I'm here because it's my obligation as your husband."

"And I'm not qualified to be your wife, your Highness."

He felt a lump on his throat, and realized that he gripped her hand enough to make his knuckles go white. It was weird, he thought, that the reason why he wed her was also the reason why they were drifting away. Then he began to remember Roarke's words...

"When they told me that you became my bride in behalf of your sister, I was overjoyed - in which I should not be since a life was lost." he confessed. "Yes, you were guilty because you killed her, but I think I'm also guilty as well. Because I don't want to be with her."

She froze, with her dark eyes grew with disbelief. He was her first love, and even after he learned about her crimes - and knew that she did it blindly for his sake - his feelings never wavered a bit.

"Remember what I told you the first time we've met? That we're both born and raised under a tradition with rules we can't bend. I'm not sure about your opinions, but for me...I hated it. No, I despised it. I never wanted to be a Prince. I considered this privilege a curse." he said, then looked straight to her eyes with sincerity. "Knowing you...and being married to you was the only event in my life that made say I'm happy that I was born to be a royalty."

Her mouth quivered, and with his words she sobbed "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. I just want -"

"Shh. I know, and I forgive you." he cooed as he caressed her head while hugging her.

He might not be able to save her from her life sentence, or even her dignity as a Royal Consort, but he'll make sure that along the way, he'll be there to support and protect her. 

Even if it'll cost his rights as a heir of the throne.