Chapter 22

His actual ID and picture didn't justify his accurate description. It didn't say that he has a thick, dark hair, with sapphire eyes that could entrap any women's heart, and an aesthetic face that could make the angels wept.

He's like an embodiment of Prince Charming.

"Record on. Dallas, Lieutenant Eve and Peabody, Detective Delia, interviewing a suspect Kyrios Ameranti under the case code 974830OX.", Eve said as she entered the room. "Do I have to read your rights again?"

"Where's the Princess?", Kyrios demanded.

"I have no intention to tell you."

"Is she alright? Safe? Did the bastard hurt her?"

"You tell me."

He fisted his hands on the table. "Do you think I'll harm her? Kill her?"

"You have the means, the ways, and the opportunity to kill her.", Eve answered matter-of-factly. "She was related to the man who arranged for your grandparent's deportation. She was the symbol of the government that made your parents suffer. You might not be a rebel, but you're seeking some refuge to outside borders. Then you're at the same scene when the murder happened. So don't even wonder why you're a suspect."

"I'm in love with her."

"Yet Love kills."

"Of course.", he said wearily. "But I don't have the capacity to do that, or even kill a human being. If only I could defend myself using my feelings alone. This is circumstantial."

"Then tell us the reason why you're there.", Peabody nudged.

"To get the blueprints. Me and Petun planned this beforehand, that there's no need for me to roam around the building and check the actual interiors. The royal household knows me, and I couldn't risk myself to check her."

"You never contacted her via 'link? Or even left her a memo cube perhaps?"

"That's impossible. All her life they forbade her to have communication access outside, let alone use telephones."

This is a fucking 21st century, Eve thought. She couldn't even imagine living a life without a 'link, PPC or even Autochef.

Then he continued. "The hotel staffs never doubted me when I asked for it, thinking it was for the Offertory's security."

"Who were these staffs? What rooms and floors did you go?", Eve asked.

"Only first and third floors. For the staff, I believe it was Maddy, no - it Sandy. And then a crew named Tom and Jeremy...not very sure if I hear their names right. There was a young girl at the kitchen, and it seems that I startled her..."

He made a long pause, and then a realization struck him. "There must be surveillance cameras in the area. And those people, they can prove my alibi."

"That, if the owner of the establishment will defend you that the murder happened while you're stealing at them.", Eve responded without mentioning that all of the recorded disks were stolen.

She laid the pictures of Amir and Mathilde on the table. Despite of his calm demeanor, she saw anger and pity.

"I don't know them, but their names were in the news. The Princess was not mentioned.", he murmured. "But you playing her means that she's there. Somebody tried to kill her."

"Did you know why she's with them?"

"No - and if I did, I wouldn't mind. We have planned this moment before she came here, and if she's the one who initiated that meeting, that means she's trying to minimize the impact of our decisions."