Chapter 26

Instead of having a Harminian wedding, Levinski decided to bend the royal family's tradition. To see your bride in a white-veiled dress was his reason, but the truth was, he wanted to have a legalized divorce in the future – hence the ceremony was held in New York.

He hasn't seen her real face even once, and the only time they were allowed to talk was whenever she's with her bodyguards. This Princess Petun was quite sensible and good-mannered, but what if there's something wrong with her physique?

"Stupid traditions.", Levinski muttered as he stood near the altar with the mayor. Somehow, the mayor heard him, but before he could give his comments, the choir began to sing as the bride marched towards them.

Unbeknownst to many, Levinski was only marrying her because of an agreement. Her family wanted money, he wanted glory – and the answer was Petun. Not only she's the youngest, she's also the highest-ranking female consort.

He first learned about her existence two years ago, during the wake of Prince Beeno. He was aware about the uprising against the royalty, but never knew that these rebels murdered some of the King's direct heirs, and that the family hid it in the public.

"You're a foreign investor employing almost half of Harmin's population, so there's no way the rebels would go against you.", Princess Sora, one of Prince Lamook's wife, told him. "If you marry one of the King's daughters and make an offspring, you're not only saving our legacy but you'll be gaining loyalty and trust among our supporters. That would make you one of the most powerful men in the country."

The word powerful sold him.

For five generations, the Levinskis were hailed as one of the most influential names on both politics and corporate world. But lately, a person called Roarke emerged. He was just a self-made Irish immigrant with a very shady past, and currently married to a cop who whored herself for money, and yet he was considered as the top capitalist on or off-planet and the most respectable elite in the society.

That's why Levinski loathed him.

With the upcoming election, Levinski knew that this wedding would boost out their ratings enough to secure their win. In case something went wrong, their illicit activities could cover some blackmails and vote-buyings.

And speaking of illicit activities, his mind was quite hazy last night – not only him but all of his bodyguards. They were aware that something did happen, but because they were all conked, their memories were messed up.

Oh well, he thought as he beamed a smile on the camera, as long as he'll be married today, everything will be fine.

But not with Eve.

In fact, she felt nauseous. Several images flashed on her mind, especially the vivid image of Roarke smiling at the end of the pulpit...but unfortunately, it overlapped with her current scenario of an ugly, midget-like man in a white tux. She might feel better if Levinski was at least ten-folds handsome, but that would only add to her anxiety.

There's nothing to be taken personally on this op, she convinced herself. She's only doing her job, and Roarke understood her more than anything, but she couldn't help herself not to feel guilty.

That's why she stopped half-way.

"What's the matter, Dallas?", she heard Feeney's voice hummed on her earpiece, and at the same time felt the growing murmurs in the crowd. All the media droids and cameras that were broadcasting the event live immediately focused on her.

"Shit, I can't do this."

"What the hell are you saying?"

"What do you think you're doing?", Levinski went near to her when she froze. "What's the matter with you?"

"I – I can't.", she murmured, and when she stepped back, Levinski dragged her hand.

She slapped him.

The static noises from her earpiece and the public's violent gasps snapped her to reality.

Uh-oh, she thought. That was not her intention, she was not thinking straight, and she didn't mean to blow the op. That was not a planned act. She diverted her gaze from the fuming groom to the crowd, and then began to scan a familiar face.

Even though he garbed himself well and maintained a disguise, Eve knew her mate. With its vivid, blue eyes, Roarke looked at her with mutual sadness and despair. He, too, couldn't bear to see a marriage rite of her with another man, whether faked or not.

When she heard his Irish voice on her earpiece, it sounded like he's standing beside her.

"I can't bear it."

"Same here.", she replied, and then focused on Levinski. Since she screwed up everything, might as well play with it.

Levinski yanked her. "You're a disgrace to your family and your country! Remember: I bought you for a fucking billion dollars, so don't you dare show that selfish attitude! Or else – "

"Or else, what?", Eve bellowed, "Kill the princess just like what you did with Mr. Amir Howe and Mathilde Kentwood? Or hire some hitman perhaps?"

"What the hell are you saying, you stupid bitch?"

There was a loud commotion happening in the background, and Eve knew their speeches will be broadcasted nationwide. They might not be able to implement the Plan B, but she knew in a few moments, the target would bit the bait.

"Dream on asshole; I won't marry to someone like you!"

"Why you – "

She wanted to remove the veil and the wig for everybody to know the real score, but then realized it didn't matter anymore.

"Listen here, you moron. I'm already married, my husband is there, and we're pregnant!"

That announcement made Levinski, Roarke, her team, and the rest of the visitors went silent...but that didn't take long when a sharp Hussar flew and aimed Eve's head.