Chapter 24

"Why the fuck did you do that?", Baxter growled at Nadine as they ran outside the room. "Are you trying to kill us?!"

"That was an accident!", she snapped. She was so offended that she wanted to use her pumps and pummel it on his face, but then who couldn't blame his reaction? If she didn't fiddle something back there, the security alert wouldn't be activated.

"And why did you use those pepper sprays on that mongo droid? Are you an idiot?"

"Do I have to repeat it all over again that it was an accident?", and I'm guilty, she wanted to add, but couldn't. She knew that it was a reckless act, and leaving a trace on the droids could hint Levinski about their infiltration.

Hey, she's just a civilian reporter, a female who's not familiar with combats, but using those as an excuse wouldn't change their situation.

And now that she tripped herself, she wouldn't blame Baxter if he laughed and left her. It's her karma.

But Baxter immediately scooped and carried her with his arms without a second thought. She squirmed.

"I hate you, you hate me – but you've got sprained ankle, and we have a killer droid behind us. So don't give me that look and suck it up."

"I thought you're gonna throw me outside the window.", she murmured.

"You just gave me a better idea.", he replied easily. He began to shift his energy and focused how to make an escape. "Trueheart, give me a status!"

"Which would you like me to report first – the good news or the bad news?", Trueheart responded on his earpiece.

"Bad news."

"Besides of that scalpel-wielding droid running behind you, there's another droid at the end of the corridor that wields hatchets. Two with stunners and chains are three floors above you, and currently on their way. One outdoor droid and another one that resides on the patio are ready to meet you downstairs. Added to the fact that Levinski and his men were all stoked – thanks to the pot session we just interrupted – that means you'll probably meet some drug-induced people along the way."

"Shit, that sounds like we can't escape here easily! What's the good news then?"

"Fortunately, nobody contacted Dispatch. And since I'm incapable of doing electronic tappings, I have no choice but to ask for some back-ups."

"Damn it, I told you not to tell – ", he roared but stopped when a familiar voice boomed in his earpiece.

He might thank his boy afterwards.

"I'm doing this favour for Trueheart.", McNab spoke. "Damn you Baxter, I can't believe you would do this lowly act just to have your revenge! And you even brought a civilian – more it's Nadine! If Dallas knows about this, it'll cause you not only insubordination, but also a month-long suspension without pay...after she skins you alive!"

"Hey, I have no idea about this woman's modus...and you're one of us now, so don't assume I'm the only one who's gonna face those consequences.", Baxter scowled. "Besides, I'm doing this to solidify our LT's case against Levinski, now that I've got enough evidences to nail him for accessory."

"The-there's two droids behind us!", Nadine shrieked. "And they've got stunners!"

All Baxter could do was run along the hallways. He couldn't use his stunners or apply maximum force. He couldn't even jump – or throw Nadine outside the window as what he suggested before – due to electric blockades.

He's now putting all of his faith to McNab – that he could crack the mansion's codes and delete all of their surveillance traces while he's planning for escape.