Chapter 23

"What would you do if your girlfriend has been kidnapped by some assholes?", Baxter asked Trueheart as he drove the car.

"I'm going to hunt the 'some assholes' even in the depth of the earth, and then dump this 'some asshole's' sorry life in the darkest and most miserable cell on or off planet."

"And to your rescued girlfriend? What would you do?"

"Just be with her.", he answered with a punch.

Baxter only whistled.

"Why sir, you haven't experience some love?"

"Of course I do, boy. And my revenge might be more inhumane than yours.", he replied. "But we're not talking about me, or you."

Trueheart gave a U-turn towards the bushes, and then parked the car behind it.

A short silence.

"I don't think we're doing a right thing, sir. The Lieutenant might skin us to death.", he said while drumming his fingers on the steering.

Baxter liked the guts and the wits of this guy, but sometimes he's a pain with his by-the-book attitude. "That is, if she knows. But you're not planning to report this, are you?"

"We might be sued E & B, or illegal entry for this matter. We don't have any warrants."

He went outside the car, and then crouched towards the driver seat. "I'm the one who's gonna enter that building, and you stay here for back-up. If you ever tell LT about this, remember that you're an accessory to this crime - so don't you dare rat me out. Take note: she might spare you, but not me."

"Be careful, sir."

"Boy.", he smirked. "Careful is my middle name."

Trueheart only sighed as he activated their private communicator and looked at his partner approaching Levinski's home.

Baxter and Trueheart visited Levinski's mansion once for interrogation.

It was a very shitty interview, with lots of bullshits written all over his face. Obviously, Levinski was sugarcoating his statement, like he's the innocent, but no one buys it.

Worst part, Levinski called him bald.

Sizzling Jesus, I'm not near bald! Baxter thought as he ran his fingers on his scalp.

He has plenty of hairs in his head, and probably twice than Levinski's. And for a man who has the guts to compare himself with Roarke, that he's more superior than Roarke, Levinski must be an insanely idiot.

And only an insanely idiot would rat out during his fiancé's kidnapping, a day before their wedding.

"Baxter, Detective David, entering Antonio Levinski's premise.", he quoted as he activated the recorder on his lapel. "Trueheart, can you read my stats?"

"Coast is clear, sir.", Trueheart responded via his earpiece.

They were able to unearth several crime-related incidents connected to Levinski, and majority were drug-trafficking and money laundering - two heavy crimes that could destroy his family's reputation.

Sadly, he's not from Anticrime anymore, or he already busted his balls first chance. That's why as a Homicide cop, he's looking for any itsy-bitsy info that this fucker committed a single kill - may it be his old dog or a small critter in someone's pet shop - so that he could claim the collar.

And it seems that Heaven was on his side when Roarke discovered that the planted bug in Prince's Lamook's things came from him. If he couldn't nail him of murder, then accessory would do.