Chapter 20

“Once upon a time, there was a Celtic King who had conquered many lands and seas. He was feared by several kings, fawned by beautiful women and bowed down by various people. He was ruthless to his enemies, yet loved by many.”, Princess Petun narrated during Eve's last visit.

"Then one day, a village near his kingdom has been attacked by barbarians. He went there to check the people and avenge on their behalf, but when they arrived on that bloody battlefield, a woman clad in a dark robe was standing solitarily among the piles of dead bodies. With her long, willowy hair and gold, stoic eyes, she held her bloody sabres and summoned the dark wind. Her cries were like of a wolf howling, that all the soldiers of the Celtic King knelt with fear. It was the first time the Celtic King laid his eyes on the Goddess - "

"And your ancestor stole the war diety, made some babies with her, and these poor babies popped some generations of royalty that lived in a very cruel and sad fates.", Eve inserted. "Sounds like a heaven's retribution to me."

The Princess only smiled at her sarcasms.

And even though it seems like a rip-off fairy tale, Eve could see an angle towards her murder.

While swinging the sabres, she closed her eyes and tried to see the imagery of the war Goddess, and the murderer on her case. Both were in dark clothes and wielded Hussar sabres dripped in blood. The only difference was that the latter was not an avenger.

Or was she?

"Pizza delivery.", a voice sounded in Irish tone she always loved, and when she turned around, it bore the deep blue eyes she always adored. He was holding a long box, and judging by its smell, it was pepperoni.

My own Celtic King, she thought.

Roarke felt his heart skipped a beat when Eve smiled at him. She's wearing loose sweatpants that matched her white tank top, and even though she looked bad-ass enough holding two swords, her extensions gave her an aura of an ancient warrior.

"Please tell me that's real.", she said as she reached the box.

He immediately raised it above his head, away from her greedy hands. "The payment?"

She tried to hide her grin by scowling, and then yanked his lapels to give him a deep, feverish kiss that could knock both of them senselessly. When his hand lowered a bit, she grabbed the box immediately and moved away.

"That's foul, Eve.", he frowned when she opened the box moaning. "I'm demanding a delivery tip for this."

"Don't dream, boy. My hubby's got more money than me. Go ask him.", she teased.

They were at the hotel's dome, an open area made for exclusive guests, and currently, for the royal family. It was surrounded by wild flowers and low-dimmed lights, and with tonight's full moon scenery, the place was quite romantic. They sat squarely at the large mat laid on the floor. As she opened the box and gnawed the first slice, she felt like heaven.

"Are the foods here really that bad that you could weep for a pizza?", Roarke asked while eating his slice.

"They make me eat vegetables.", she scowled. "It's not like I'm complaining or something - I mean I lived my life before eating soy foods - but they don’t give a damn what I would like to eat for dinner. Eat this and that, like they were Summerset's clones. And what in a world they never serve coffee? Coffee's an essential in life, and chocolates too!"

He couldn't help but chuckled on her childish rants. God, he really missed her.

"If I indulged your fix then.", he asked as he produced a thermos. Fetching two cups from the counter, he poured his primed coffee. "Will the palace guards arrest me?"