Chapter 9

While he was preparing to leave, Roarke spotted Summerset updating Eve's Autochef.

"The Lieutenant is back to her routine now. No wonder she's quite energetic," said Summerset.

It was quite funny on Roarke's end how his wife and his foster father bickered with nonsense things only to catch one of them doing something sweet behind each other's back. Just like now.

He pulled a bar stool while observing how meticulous Summerset arranged Eve's things, and probably have waited for her and the whole team to leave before he climbed upstairs.

"Everything will be busy for a while, now that she's dealing with an unusual case."

"Since when did the Lieutenant handle a 'normal' case?" the butler sneered "But then, it will be a relief that someone can look out for her."

Roarke smiled at that comment then frowned when he remembered the person that he had to be dealt with.

Summerset knew all of the quirks of his adopted son, and with his momentary silence and scowling expression, he laughed much to Roarke's chagrin.

"Oh boy, when are you going to forget about Levinski? That was several years ago yet you're still holding that grudge?"

With the media announcing of Eve as primary of the Harminian consul's case, it was not difficult for Summerset to connect it with the upcoming marriage of his nemesis.

"That bollock never worry me at all. Besides, I have toppled him down in Wallstreet and took most of his prospect investments as a payback for what he did here. And with his name tangled in the case, I am willing to fry his balls and give it to the hounds."

"Yet you're still affected. I wonder what would be the Lieutenant's reaction if she knew", Summerset mused that earned a narrowed glare from Roarke.

"What if I told Eve that you have a soft spot for her?"

"She won't buy that.", Summerset scoffed.

Roarke walked towards him and snatched a piece of a peanut brittle he was about to add on the autochef's menu.

Ever since he overheard Eve's praise on a gift several days ago, he was making peanut brittles in various flavors. Last time he served several meringue pies after she brought home one from the same grandmother, making Roarke assumed they were celebrating Pie Month. There were also chocolate chip cookies against Nadine's bribery and pastries against Ariel's cakes.

Summerset always competes for Eve without them knowing it.

"Oh yeah, before I forgot.", Roarke paused a bit to grab his suitcase, "I've heard that crullers in Harmin are world-class, especially their buttermilk flavor. I bet the Lieutenant will like it."

He couldn't wipe the smirk on his face when he saw Summerset's stunned realization as he exited the house.

After settling inside the limo, Roarke pulled out his link' and dialed a number. A woman immediately appeared on his screen.

"Good morning, Roarke. What's up?", the female greeted.

"Good morning, Reva. I need you to do something for me."

.

.

.

"And Roarke is okay with it?", Peabody meekly asked Eve who was currently driving towards their assigned location. They were trying to engage a conversation while observing some tails behind, which happened to be the same vehicle that Levinski used last night.