Chapter 6

The beady eyes were still there as Eve returned to her bullpen.

"Peabody, Baxter, and Trueheart, to my office!", she bellowed.

The three followed her as she entered her small office. It was Trueheart who closed the door, making the three of them compressed with each other.

"What's the status of your case files?", Eve asked.

"15 percent.", said Peabody

"30 percent.", said Baxter.

"5 percent.", said Trueheart.

The three looked at the young detective with jealousy. Eve glanced at the piled papers on her table. 40 percent.

"LT, you must be lucky to be vaccinated against Epidemic.", Baxter snickered.

"I don't think so, Baxter. Maybe I'll feel luckier if these papers will go away."

"Oh, no Dallas. Our hands are full to handle your crap.", Peabody groaned.

Eve raised her brow. "Want to do my papers?"

"No.", her subordinates answered in unison.

"Then shut up and listen."

Eve began to tell them about the case. She was fascinated how the three showed hopeful expressions while she explained some grotesque details.

"Does that mean we're included in the case?" Trueheart probed like a schoolboy.

"Can I casually tell you a Code Five case if it's not?" the Lieutenant retorted.

Peabody squealed happily.

"I am your servant, LT. My savior!", Baxter swore and pumped his fist in the air.

"Everybody, calm down or the whole cops in Central will make a stampede towards my office. Now, I want you Peabody to come with me to visit Morris. You, Trueheart, will visit Dickhead for the evidence while you Baxter will go to the Skyline and interview the staffs involved, maybe we'll get a possible clue of our third victim or the perpetrator itself. Connect it with the testaments from the consulate staffs as well. If you have to work it with Yancy, tag me first."

"No problem, your highness."

Trueheart raised his hand. "How about me, Lieutenant, in case Dickie won't do it without a bribe?"

"Use your charm, Trueheart. If not, use your body. Maybe Dickie might bite it.", Eve joked, which made Trueheart shuddered at the mere thought.

"Be at my house office at 0800 for collation and briefing. Don't be late. Scram."

When the three went to their respective desks, adjusted their holsters and picked their links', everybody knew that they were saved from 'Paper Epidemic'. With the news about the Lieutenant's 'special power' passed around, all cops in Central started to brew a plan for their own 'redemption'.

"Erm Dallas, you've been consuming several pints of peanut brittles for a week now.", Peabody commented as she looked at Eve who was munching one while driving.

"They were tasty, I tell you, and quite a good stash than my chocolates. Ever since I regulated my chocolate and replaced it with this, the Candy Thief never entered my office anymore. I even left a jar of it on my table and not a single crumb was taken. I wondered why.", Eve speculated.

"Maybe your Candy Thief was allergic to peanuts, or knew that too much peanut consumption can give you pimples or makes you fat."

"Really? I never knew that you can read the mind of my Candy Thief."