Chapter 25

"Why me?" was Eve's first question when Roarke asked her for marriage.

He could name hundreds, maybe thousands of reasons, but he knew they were all pointless since he could zeroed it all to get the main point.

"I love you.", he answered. "And I can't live without you."

It was perfect.

But whenever he asked for her reason why she married him, she'll answer 'coffee' or 'sex', and somehow it pleased him.

When Magdalena appeared, Eve had asked him "What if you married her, or somebody else, instead of me?"

It offended him – especially that she's downgrading herself, and failed to see that she's more beautiful and sexier than them. Honestly speaking, he couldn't imagine his life without her.

But what if it's the other way around?

What if Eve belonged to somebody else? Or that she was married before they met?

Now, that horrible nightmare was turning into reality in his very eyes.

"Hey, hot buns.", Callendar called behind his station, "Are 'ya done with filters?"

"Almost. Should I route it to your station directly or pass it to Feeney first?"

"Nah, no need to screen that. You're too solid.", she wiggled her shoulders. "Besides, the boss was busy whipping some asses in behalf of Lieutenant."

Roarke reclined his chair and saw that Feeney was still fuming with Baxter and Trueheart. Good thing they were in a separate room and had their ears spared listening from Feeney's verbal abuses.

If there's a reason why Feeney didn't call him:

One: Baxter and Trueheart were not aware that he's the one who hacked Levinski's mansion.

Two: Baxter and Trueheart were aware but didn't rat him because they're...scared?

Three: Feeney knew but never minded it because he's a civilian.

Four: Feeney knew but he'll let Eve give the verdict.

Either way, nothing has changed. Nobody filed a complaint about the ruckus last night, and Levinski himself was able to attend his own wedding. As for the bride...

"You better do some explanation, Pal – why the fuck you assisted these three idiots and never told me about it last night?! I was there the whole time with you, and you never mentioned a single thing about it!"

Ah, Roarke thought, the answer was option Five: Eve knew by instinct that he's the hacker, and the only one who could pull it out in a short span of time.

"Lieutenant, even I was surprised when they first informed me about it. They didn't elaborate the details, that's why I couldn't tell you exactly what happened. Besides, it is my duty as a citizen of New York to abide the law.", he explained when her voice exploded on his communicator. "Consider this - without Baxter and Nadine's intervention, you'll never nail that bastard an accessory and your perpetrator a multiple homicide...something that Feds or Homeland couldn't tackle anymore."

"But why Nadine and – for the love of God – Baxter?"

"Darling, don't ask me. Ask them"

Eve immediately hung up, and Roarke believed she would call either Whitney or Rio to confirm/prepare for the arrest warrants.

And he was right.

After she updated her Commander, Eve closed her eyes and began to imagine her murder board. If only she could make an escape, have McNab get her a PCP, or have somebody fetch a small board to scribble her ideas, everything would be easier.

However, she couldn't. She'll be facing a bloody battle between Trina's clones in any minute, and then force herself to wear a long, satin-white gown.

"I guess this is the feeling of 'getting married by work'.", she sighed.

A short rap in her door distracted her thoughts. It was Prince Lamook.

"Lieutenant, I would like to thank you for doing this in behalf of our royal family. For doing this cause in place of my sister.", he said as he took her hands. "You have no idea how happy we are to witness this special event."

"Did you and your family even cared about the Princess' happiness?", Eve scoffed. "I bet your people think otherwise."

Lamook blinked before answering her. "Both of us have different beliefs and culture, and whether you accept our principle or not, Petun was born and raised to marry."

He continued. "Indeed we owe you a lot, especially for taking care of our Princess' welfare, but I do hope your department will be able to minimize the impact of this scandal."

"The whole NYPSD are doing their best to meet your expectations, however, we cannot guarantee the discretion.", Eve replied. "You're aware that the killer is out there, and who knows when he/she will attack me. Majority of diplomats around the world is here, and this wedding will be telecasted nationwide – a perfect scenario for a killer who wanted some global attention."

"How about the kidnapper you've caught yesterday? I thought he's connected with your murders?"

"He's not, Prince Lamook. In fact, he gave us enough hints about my murders, and the other one that happened two years ago."

Eve could see his stunned expression, and knew it was a genuine one, but before he could ask about it, Afef rapped the door.

"My apologies, your Highness, but the Princess needs to be donned by her maids now.", the butler said.

"I'll expect some lengthy discussion after this.", Lamook muttered, then promptly left the room.

"Good call, Afef.", Eve smirked. "Let's see if our rat would eat that bait."

"I aim to please, Lieutenant"

She knew that her last words would stir some doubts, or maybe some conscience if Lamook was guilty, and if he could keep that information from his wife, then that means the perpetrator wouldn't ploy an attack during the ceremony.

"My, my, your Highness.", one of Trina's goons inserted. "You better take off all of your clothes now. We don't have much time left."

It was weird, Eve thought as her body was being lathered by some slimy goo, that she's going to be married for a second time around, and strangely, to another man. Even though this was just an op, it still made her nervous.

She, too, was also assaulted a night before her wedding with Roarke that made her earn a black-eye the next day.

Come to think of it: she always got assaulted a day before the wedding. One was with Louise and Charles; another was with Marlo and Matthew.

But this time, she was spared to have a black-eye. The real Trina and her bestfriend Mavis was not dilly-dallying around. Summerset was not paddling around with his butt-stick. Peabody was somewhere around instead of sticking by her side.

And most of all, Roarke was not there.

The wedding dress was more conservative than her first. Her veil was quite thicker and longer, and there were white pearls decorated on her body. Good thing her transmitter was nicely clipped and blended on her bodice, that in case of emergency, her team could track her.

"You look so...majestic!", one of the maids exclaimed. "You're so beautiful, your Highness."

Eve could spat some smart comments, but decided not to. That irked her completely.

"Here's your bouquet, Princess.", Afef said as he opened a box.

Her hands froze when she reached for it. It was a bunch of white petuias, completely identical to her wedding bouquet with Roarke, and that realization almost made her cry.

Afef leaned when she shuddered. "Calm now, my dear Petun. This day marks your journey towards a life full of happiness. So leave all your worries behind, and rest assured, we are all here for you."

"Thanks.", she whispered, and then stood up to face the ceremony. "I'm ready."

It would only take an hour to finish everything.