Chapter 5

Roarke reclined his back. "What's the meaning of this Eve? Am I a suspect?"

"I have to Mirandized you before I – "

"Answer my bloody question before I break that recorder of yours and shove it outside." he snapped coolly. "Now, am I a suspect?"

His whiplashed anger lanced her heart yet she couldn't blame him for that. Fisting her hand, she stared at him with her straight cop-like eyes. "Do I look like I have some choice here? I'm just following the procedures."

"Fuck your procedures, Eve."

The last time they had this tension was during DeBlass' case.

Back then, they barely knew each other, and unbeknownst to him, she was struggling her best to clear his name. He felt remorse how he hurt her afterward. And with their current state, despite the similarities, was a vital difference – and that was time.

For Roarke, no matter how time had passed, Eve will always be Eve.

So he relaxed on his chair with a resigned thought that this time, he would trust her.

Seeing her husband's cooperation, she activated her recorder and began to recite a Revised Miranda.

"Do you understand your rights and obligation?"

"Yes." was his prompt reply.

Eve successfully battled her emotions when he showed no resistance. "How well do you know Armir Howe?"

"A good associate, and as a US consul to Harmin, a good investor. Eve...", he trailed off upon his realization. "Did Lianna know?"

Eve gave a nod. This made Roarke cursed under his breath.

"When was the last time you talked to him?"

"Yesterday afternoon, around 1500, here in the office. The security will give you the surveillance discs later."

"Appreciate that. What did you talk about?"

"An investment of sorts. There were plans for developing the nation's international airport to accommodate more airline investors and have various direct flights instead of connecting across the borders. He wanted Roarke Airlines to be one of them, and since it was just a plan with no solid activities, I considered it as a bad move. But Armir kept pestering me for a year now, so I resigned and decided to accept his proposal."

So this was what Lianna meant of Roarke being conned, she thought. She never thought that there was someone who could bend Roarke to follow their rules. It was unfortunate that the person died.

"Did you two have scheduled appointments today?"

"No, and it should be tomorrow noon here, and another on Wednesday for the consulate party. From the looks of it, I believe I'm going to cancel them," he answered sadly.

"Did you make a reservation in Pearl Skyline yesterday around 1900 for a small conference today at 0400?"

His brows rose up. "Why would I schedule a conference room in a second-rate hotel if I can set it on my Palace, which is the best?"

Eve thought of that too. It was unusual for him but she wanted to hear him declare it by himself – that he was innocent enough and unaware of what happened. She wanted to clear his name before she indulged herself in the case more.

Roarke was no fool; he has been a cop's spouse for years and participated in several ops enough to read between the lines.

"You mentioned that you don't want Roarke Airlines to be invested, but you did. Why is that?" she asked.