Chapter 27

Eve was expecting the attack, but never imagined its impact.

She was in an open area with a bouquet of petunias on her hand, and beside her was a trembling man who pissed on his pants when a sword flung above them. 

Instinct and training told her to move or else her head would fly in front of live cameras with millions of witnesses. But she was playing as Princess Petun, and like any damsel-in-distress, a knight would most likely save her. If not, her whole team would launch themselves to cover her.

And she was right.

"Please stop this, your Highness. You're only putting yourself and the family to shame.", Afef pleaded as he deflected the sword from the attacker, who happened to be Princess Sora.

Cursing, she pulled a dagger tied on her traditional gown and aimed it to the butler, but this time, it was McNab, who posed as one of the royal servants, stopped and confined her.

The outcome was anti-climatic. 

From the time Princess Sora immediately snatched the ceremonial Hussar strapped on Prince Lamook's belt, and then ran towards the runaway bride, the crowd went loose, creating a stampede. The live coverage was cut and replaced with a screen banner 'Program Suspension' . 

And even after the entrapment op was successfully done, both NYPSD and the Harminian securities have to resolve the ruckus and the pending inquisitions – which was a perfect diversion from the scenario on the aisle.

"Don't touch me, you filth!", Princess Sora bellowed in Harmin dialect. "You have no right to dictate me, Afef. You're just a lowly butler of this pompous woman!"

"He has no right, but not in this case.", Eve replied using the auto-translator, and when she removed the veil, both the Princess and Levinski gaped. 

"Royal consort Princess Sora, you are under arrest for murdering Amir Howe and Mathilde Kenwood, attempted murder to a foreign national, a fellow human being that was under the protection of US laws, and if you're bitchy about this, an assault to a police officer. You have the right to remain silent."

After she Mirandized her, Peabody and two of Petun's royal guards walked behind the Princess to complete the arrest.

"What are you doing with my wife?! Release her at once!", Lamook said as he rushed towards Eve, only to be blocked by Afef.

"Your Highness, please control your emotions, and listen to – "

"Listen to whom – to these American cops? To you? I'm expecting you to defend this family, Afef. You've been with us since Petun was born! You swore a loyalty to our crest! Why are you doing this?"

"Afef was only doing his job, same as us American cops.", Eve interrupted. "You've witnessed everything, Prince Lamook, how your wife attempted to kill your sister in front of these people – unless you tipped her, that it was meant for me – but one way or another, she's connected to my case. And don't you dare pull a 'conspiracy' crap here, because you diplomats made a written agreement with NYPSD to solve a murder case. If you want to dispute something, then let's discuss it at Central."

"Lieutenant – "

"Lieutenant.", it was Whitney who called her. Beside him was Roarke.

"Even though there's a drastic turn from your original plan, you've managed to pull things out, which was a big surprise. The most important thing was the end-result, and you nailed it. Good work.",

Whitney said, and then turned to Lamook. "As Lieutenant Dallas' superior, I am the one who approved her decision to keep everything from you and your household. I'm also aware about her suspects, and I believe you're also leaning that it was an inside job. You were right."

Lamook balled his fists and went towards Sora. And even though Eve already deactivated her auto-translator, she knew that he was offering some comforting words to his enraged wife. She saw the nakedness of love in their eyes, and that realization made her stomach churn.

She gave an acknowledgement nod to her commander, then to Roarke, and left.

On a side note, Baxter walked towards Levinski with a sarcastic grin.

"How are 'ya, Sir Levinski?", he greeted, "We've just witnessed that your bride ditched you. You have my utmost apologies."

Levinski looked at him with tears in his eyes. 

"He-help me..."

"Of course. Trueheart!", he called his partner, handed him a cuff. "Stephanos Levinski, you are under arrest for an accessory to the murders of Armir Howe and Mathilde Kenwood, possession of illegal drug paraphernalia, and possibly more after interrogations."

When Baxter finished reciting the Revised Miranda, Levinski bawled and cried for a lawyer.

"Geez, man. You stinks!"

In a matter of minutes, Eve stripped all of her undercover get-ups, and then made an exit without any fuss. She slipped inside her DLE parked at the hotel's back entrance, and wasn't even surprise that Roarke was already there. He was driving it.

"We're heading to Central, right Darling?"

She didn't answer.

"Eve, what's wrong? Are you alright?", he asked, and when he reached her, she immediately slapped his hand. 

"What's wrong with you?!", she squalled. "Why are you smiling?!"

"A-am I?"

Roarke was surprised on her reaction, and at the same time, realized that he was indeed smiling. 

A while ago, he was devastated seeing the wedding to continue, but when Eve decided to cut it out by pulling a surprise trick, he was relieved. No, he was fucking relieved. And very happy. 

And seeing her reaction means that she wasn't joking. 

"Should I not be smiling?", he asked carefully. "Did I do something wrong?"

His confusion grew more when tears began to fell from her eyes.

"I lied – I don't want to, but I did. And it makes me a bad person.", she ranted. "I never meant to hide it from you, but I first learned it while I'm handling this stupid case and I don't want to jeopardized it, that because of my condition I'm not fitted to be a cop, that – "

"Eve, come over here.", he said with endearment.

"No!"

Despite of her refusal, he pulled her towards his lap. 

Resigned, she wrapped her arms and sobbed on his shoulder.

"Are you expecting a 'pissed party' from me?", he said as he eased her back. "Suppose I will be, but when you announced it, you knocked off my senses. Literally."

"Really?"

"I can read the signs, Darling. You're not the only one who knows your own body.", he added. "And if I knew it all along, maybe I'll disallow you, but afterwards I'll accept your decision. You're the only person who can be the Princess, and I understand that. You never harmed yourself, and I'm keeping tabs on you till the end, so what's the reason of me getting angry?"

She sighed. "I guess I'm feeling guilty. Added to the fact that I'm hormonal now."

"When do you plan to tell everything to me?"

"After the op. During our anniversary escapades. A surprise gift."

"Since today is our wedding anniversary, Darling, I believe you delivered your gift just in time."

"I guess so.", she chuckled. "Witnessed by thousands of people."

"Much better."

She moved towards him and shared a long, passionate kiss. Looking at his deep-blue eyes she could see that first-time thrill she never felt before. An awareness that their relationship could shift to another chapter.

"Happy anniversary, Daddy."