19. Answers among memories

Daciana sighed as she walked inside the old cabbin. She smiled bitterly as she remembered it was the place where it all started.

-"I say this is dangerous. Why did we stop here?"- said Silviu who remembered that Madam Lupu already knew that place.

Daciana sat down in a corner as she looked around. There were claw marks around that she had failed to notice the last time she was there. She was certain those marks had been there for years. She slowly stood up and walked down the small hall and entered a small room where she saw an old crib. The color was barely noticeable now and just like in the front rooms, there were claw marks, but these ones were quite smaller than the other ones. She crouched down and touched the marks on the floor as she knitted her brows thoughtfully.

Silviu enters the room followed by Sorin and watch her walk around and look at every detail in the old room.

-"What is she looking for?"- asked Sorin.

-"I don't know. We stayed here back then, but we never entered the rest of the cabbin"- said Silviu. "Other than that, I have no clue."

Daciana kept walking around and went to another room. She closed the door behind her as it let a loud creak of how old it was. Walking towards the wooden dresser, she gulped. Slowly opened the first drawer as a cloud of dust came from inside. Daciana coughs as she fans her hand around to dismiss the dust from infront of her. Something connected to a small, dirty golden chain laid on the inside. She pulls the chain gently and realises it was a locket. Taking it between her hands she cleans it gently and saw a wolf carved on it and the letters 'D.L' Daciana tilts her head and opened the locket. It had two pictures in it, but the glass was too dirty that she couldn't see them well. With her fingers, she cleans them up and as soon as the pictures were visible, she gasped.

It was a picture when she was little and her parents were living along with her. In one of the pictures she was being held by her father as her mother smiled lovingly at them. She had to be around 4-5 years old. The other had a picture of a young woman that looked just like her, but she was certain that it wasn't herself.

-"Grandmother Dacia"- she said almost in a whisper as she caressed the locket.

It was the only picture she had of her real grandmother. The locket probably belonged to her grandmother as a heirloom to her father and then it was meant for her. Still, she did not comprehend why such thing was hidden there. She looked up at the ceiling and then kept looking around the room. It felt as if she had been there before. Then...she froze at the spot as soon as she recognized a painting book thrown on the floor.

[Flashback]

Little Daciana was painting on her coloring book on the floor while her mother kneeted on the bed.

-"Look mommy!"- said Daciana as she showed her mother what she was painting.

Gretchen smiled and nodded pleased with her daughter's work. That's when a window the door flew opened and a crazed up vampire entered the house and was about to bite Daciana who screamed from the top of her lungs. Her father, who was almost home, heard her screams and quickly transformed and entered the house. By the time he made it to the room Gretchen was in front of Daciana with her shoulder covered in blood. Even so, she did not dare to move from the spot. Emil, who was noe enraged, didn't pity the creature and tore it apart with his canines and claws while Daciana and Gretchen were pushed aside and Daciana hit her head with the dresser.

[Present]

Daciana touches the corner of the dresser where she had hit her head when she was younger. She had forgotten such memories after hitting her head. She used to live in that cabin along with her family and she had been attacked by a vampire and had endangered her mother's life in the process. She bit her lower lip as she was reminded of the irony of her life. Attacked by vampires and now working with them to beat her grandmother.