22. Long wait worth pain?

Standing there was no other than Gretchen, Daciana's mother in a vampiric form pleading her daughter and followers to end once and for all with Penelope Lupu's life. Daciana who was in her wolf form was as shocked as her followers with such a twisted scene. Wasn't she always a half breed? A half breed of a wolf and a human? Why was her mother a vampire?

[Flashback]

Gretchen had been kneeling before Daciana protecting her from the vampire that had wanted to feed on her. Emil had destroyed the creature and later on they had moved from their cabin in the woods.

-"Gretchen..."- said Emil as he cleaned the sweat from his wife's forehead with a wet cloth.

She was trembling and her body would move against her will as if she were suffering from some shock. Emil knew exactly what was happening and he wasn't going to end with his wife. She was transforming into a vampire and no matter how much he thought about it he could not kill his beloved Gretchen.

. . .

Gretchen was forced to stay in doors and they lived in some other forest like place where the trees would protect her from burning with the sunlight. She would always leave her house with a black umbrella and covered up from head to toe. Her black hair loosened in soft curls as Daciana held her pale and cold hand grinning from ear to ear as if nothing were wrong.

At night, when Gretchen tugged Daciana to sleep, it was very hard to keep her composure. The small neck with tempting arteries that was before her seemed so tempting, but she was her daughter and she would regret it all her life if her daughter were to be like her as well. Emil would bring her some animals he'd hunt along the way. The meat for him and the blood for Gretchen. At times, he'd give her some of his own blood to keep her calm for a while. It seemed like a pretty little fairly tale, where a werewolf and a vampire got along and had a beautiful human girl to take care of.

-"Where are you going mommy?"- asked Daciana as she took hold of her mother's hand before she left her alone on her bed.

-"Mommy's got to do some things. Go to sleep sweety, its late already"- answered Gretchen as she smiled softly at her child and placed a tender kiss on the girl's forehead.

Gretchen would sometimes go into the night and fetch herself some criminals in town and feed herself from them when her blood diet wasn't enough to sustain her. Guilt would consume her every day as she strolled with her daughter along the riverside. An innocent child who didn't know much about her family. When her husband got back home it seemed sad that she laid next to him and pretended to be sleeping when all she could do was lay near his chest and relax while hearing his heart beat in her ears. A loving husband who didn't care if she were half dead.

Emil was in charge of taking and picking up Daciana from school. Sometimes Emil would just home tutor her if she had to skip a year of school or Gretchen would do it herself when he couldn't. It was the least she could do to help her busy husband who was the young alpha of the Lupu Clan and who often had to leave for days to Transylvania to visit his 'mother' and help the pack.

There were some times when Emil would fret. He seemed to be confused and would be very moody. Gretchen would often try her best to help him either by advising him or simply listening to him. For a time, Emil began spending less time with Daciana, until one day, he simply didn't come home. Gretchen, decided to go and find out for herself when she found his corpse somewhere in the forest and a silver bullet in his chest. She cried her heart out as the irony pained her more and more by the second. The forest where their happiness had started became his grave. And so, she decided to at least bury him there and prayed for his soul to rest in peace as she returned back to her daughter.