23. Thin Hopes

Daciana laid on her bed still unconscious. Sweat ran down her forehead and Silviu placed a new cloth on her forehead as he held her hand tightly.

Sam was taking the bullet out from Lucian's shoulder.

-"Brave lad, isn't he blood sucker?"- said Sam jockingly.

-"Of course I'm brave. I'm has brother after all"- said Lucian trying to cheer Sorin up.

-"You're whose brother again? Are you kidding me?! How come you're not a blood sucker too? What's with this place anyways? Everything is so damn messed up"-

Lucian nodds as he watches his brother Sorin quietly sleep on a bed on the other side of the room.

-"You didn't know Gretchen was a vampire?"- asked Lucian.

-"Yeah...its been a long time since I saw them. She would usually stay somewhere else during family gatherings. She wasn't very welcomed by Penelope"-said Sam. "For some reason she loved staying awake until late and Emil would see her in the yard. Her beauty seemed to be eternal, but now we all know why"

Sam wrapped some bandages around Lucian as he kept talking.

-"It seems like a fairlg tale, doesn't it?"- said Lucian.

-"What does?"- asked Sam without looking at Lucian.

-" Daciana's family. Daciana did not know she was a werewolf, which meant she considered herself a full fledged human being. She was raised by a vampire as a mother and a wolf as a father. Doesn't it seem rather amazing?"-

Sam looks up at him as he chuckles.

-"Well boy, nothing is impossible. Aren't you a human living with vampires and have a vampire brother who puts his life on the line for a werewolf gal?"- said Sam as he clapped his shoulder and walked away.

Lucian knew he was right and looked at his sleeping brother. He slowly stood up from his chair and walked towards his brother.

-"You can open your eyes now"- said Lucian as Sorin slowly opened his eyes.

-"Daciana?"- asked Sorin.

Lucian simply shook his head as Sorin slowly sat up and ran a hand down his face.

-"She'll forget about it eventually"- said Sorin as he put on some shirts on. "Her mother was half dead anyway"

Lucian quickly gets a hold of Sorin's shoulders as he looks at him straight in the eye.

-"Half dead you say?"- said Lucian as if stabbing daggers into Sorin's face.

-"Yes. Half dead. Something neither she would understand, you would understand or I could understand back then when momma died"-

Sorin tried to move away, but Lucian didn't let him.

-"Didn't mom die after that new wolf transformed?"- asked Lucian with wide eyes as plates.

Sorin brushed his hands away as he slowly stood up.

-"Your mom did. Mine died before you were even planned on existing, Lucian. I told you I knew about Dacia...Maybe its time I tell you about it. Sit down"- said Sorin as both sat down on the bed one next to the other.

Two brothers who would always be laughing everything off, but this time it was a serious matter. Sorin did not know if Lucian was ready to know the truth or not, but at this point it was better to tell him no matter what. Lucian was old enough to know now and someday he would find out about it all. Sorin sighs before he begins speaking.

-" When I was younger....waaay younger, I lived there at the Gheata family house where you usually stay and I come from time to time. It was my home. We could coexist happily with the Lupu's as friendly neighbors."- began Sorin as he began recalling it all. "Dacia had become the Alpha and I would come here from time to time and I played with that weirdo of Sam, the one who took out your bullet. Well, more like babysit him"