22. A Perfect Plan

Song of the chapter// Life of the party by Shawn Mendes..

Eugene Hansen's POV...

I groaned lazily in my sleep when a loud ring penetrated through my eardrums, disturbing my peaceful sleep. I pulled a pillow and covered my ears with it in a hope of drowning out the sound and tried my best to fall back in sleep, only it didn't happen. It kept on ringing and ringing and ringing.......

Grunting, I shoved back the pillow and reached for the phone on the nightstand. "Hello!" I answered, irritated.

"Eugene?" a voice spoke from the other line. Hey, I know that voice.

"Squid head?" I gasped, surprised before stretching to look at the time on the clock at the nightstand. 12:30 am.

"Are you awake? What are you doing?"

I huffed. "I am playing hockey. What else will I do at the middle of the night?" I replied, sarcastically.

If my reply irked her, she let it pass and didn't comment anything. "There's a problem. Chris is missing."

I jerked forward and sat upright, sleep completely abandoned me the second at the news. "What do you mean?"

"Julie just called me. She told me that they had a talk about five hours ago and she told him everything about her sickness."

"And?"

"He didn't say anything. He just stared at her and then abruptly left without saying anything. She told me she tried to call him ever then but his phone just went to voicemail. She is really worried."

I grunted raking a hand through my hair roughly. "This is bad. Where did he go?"

"I wouldn't have called you if I had known. Did you flush your smart brain or what?" she snapped.

"Yea, my brain got flushed out the moment you told me my friend is missing at the middle of the night. So, forgive me if I am annoyed, Squid head." I hissed, shoving the sheets off of my body and jumped off the bed as I picked up a shirt from the chair I threw earlier and shrugged it on.

"I am sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you. I am just worried." She said from the other line and all my anger dissipated off my body.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. It was not the time or the moment to lose mypatience. Chris was out there, alone and lost to the type of pain which couldbreak him into pieces. He needed a friend, not an angry, self-destructive demon.

"It's alright. I shouldn't have snapped at you as well. But, don't worry, I might know where Chris is. I will call you once I find him."

"Ok. Thanks." She answered and I could imagine a small smile on her beautiful lips.

"No problem. He is my best friend." I replied before disconnecting the call. Grabbing the keys from the table, I walked out of the house to the car and drove away to the only place I knew Chris would be at this point.

****

After parking outside of the outhouse – our hideout – I climbed out of the car and walked towards the place.

Relief and anxiety shot through my body, relaxing every muscle, just fortiny bit, because, then, I took in the state he was in, and my muscles wereback in their tense posture

"What the hell you think you are doing?" I snapped, studying his outlook.

"Gene, what are you doing here? Go away. I am not in the mood."