In Sickness and In Health

Chapter Thirty: In Sickness and In Health

The smugness which oh-so plastered his face began to drip away, sliding in globs down his cheeks and falling to his coat, staining it--this perspiration of anxiousness only made the wicked grin which sat upon my lips grow, stitching ever farther into my cheeks. His eyes fell wide, until his gleaming muddy irises were completely surrounded by a moat of white. I inched closer to him, carefully dragging the tip of my rapier over his slightly pudgy cheek--his eyes followed where my rapier traced, and by the spreading vermilion which took over the paleness of his skin, it was completely obvious, even to the most foolish of eyes, that his breath was hitched in his lungs. "I've killed men for far less.." I trailed off, almost dreamily beginning to slice into the flesh of his neck, just below his ear. "--Of this, you know. But--your life will be spared, which, I cannot say for most of your extremities." I finished, a dark chuckle shaking from the pits of my chest, twirling about my vocal chords. 

Bending down to his level, I kept my rapier hard pressed to his throat, where only a few droplets of blood oozed out onto its shiny, unforgiving surface. "Let's make a deal" I snarled, my grin morphing, at a moment's notice, into an unscrupulous smirk.

By the way the physician stared at me, I believe he completely thought I was Satan incarnate! He dared not scurry away from my unerring hand, for he knew the consequences he would meet would be far worse if he did. 

**He had just administered the correct medicine to my Captain,  who groaned softly in a wakeful slumber, his eyes were glazed over with indispositioning malady, their gaze was faint, but in their own way--shrewd. He observed the doctor calculatingly, the doctor's every movement not going unnoticed by my Captain's keen constitution. However, every so often, as I would oogle down at my Captain, his eyes would meet my gaze, and I would instantly become awash with pity. His gaze was intelligent, he knew what was happening by one glance at my posture--he knew something was terribly awry. 

But, he kept his lips sewn shut, he knew better than to anger me, especially in such a state as things were. The doctor turned to me and gave the nod of his head. "The Captain should return to health in a matter of days--weeks, possibly, depending upon how strong his immune system is, as well as his will to become healthy again." 

"My will is iron" the Captain replied, his voice was beginning to get stronger, however, it wasn't back to it's deep, commanding richness just yet. "Besides that, my motivation to health is extraordinarily much..." he trailed off, his gaze turning to me before to the doctor, playfulness taking over his demeanor. "...I'm getting to make a son" he finished, winking to the doctor before letting out a chuckle, directed at me. I gave a half-hearted smile, brushing my fingers through his hair. 

"Whatever you wish, my Captain." Replied I, leaning down and pressing a soft kiss to his forehead, which burnt beneath my lips! Apparently, my lips felt cool against his hot skin, for he let out an unconscious sigh at my kiss, chasing a blistering chill through his veins, for, when I looked to him again, his skin glistened a feverish diaphoresis, as the ocean shines in the moonlight when diamonds tango and tumble upon the waves, laughing in the breakers. I did not even pretend to shield my anger at the doctor; my eyes traveled from my lover, to the doctor, spiting cobalt flames at him from my irises. "I would pray to whichever deity you believe in, doctor, that the Captain heals speedily--for your sake." I growled, my voice low and resonating from deep in my chest. 

The doctor nodded quickly, as fast as I've ever seen anyone nod!

"Now, the crew will be awaiting your arrival on the deck--do not fight them." I advised as he stood and frantically made for the door, slamming it shut behind him. I moved quietly and placed a chair to the Captain's bedside, plopping into it and allowing a decompressing sigh to wiggle through my lips.