Chapter 1: Emma

The bell rings, signaling the end of the school day. Sighing, I stuff my textbook and binder into my backpack and get up from the desk I sat at. I push my way through the crowded hallway and to my locker.

I open my locker and look at myself in the tiny mirror on the door. My blonde hair falls over my shoulder in a braid. My gold eye shadow makes my already vibrant green eyes look even greener. After grabbing what I need, I slam my locker close and turn on my heel. I pull out my iPod and hit shuffle. Fight Song by Rachel Platten comes on and I turn it up. I walk out of school and make it off school grounds without anyone trying to stop me.

When I get home, there is a note on the counter.

Won't be back until late. Dinner is in the fridge. Love you

-Mom

Sighing, I turn off my iPod and walk into the living room. I turn the TV on and flip through the channels for a few minutes before sighing again and turning it off. Of course, there isn't anything on. There never is.

I reach for the book on the end table. I'm guessing it's one of Mom's favorites for the cover is all worn and the binding is coming undone.

Tales of a Hunter the cover reads. I open it up and begin reading.

"Today I killed my first demon. It wasn't anything special. And he wasn't very strong. Or a good liar. He told me he knew who killed my parents. Yeah, right. Sure. I don't even know who my parents are. I don't care if they're dead. They left me at that orphanage as a little girl. They're the reason why I'm in this mess in the first place. If they had kept me, who knows how I would feel. I would probably have fewer nightmares. If they had kept me, I wouldn't wake up every night, my lungs hurting from the amount of screaming I do...

Anyways, what was I talking about? Oh, right. The demon. I performed the exorcism like Keith normally does. The words had felt weird in my mouth. I had stumbled over the latin at first, earning a mocking laugh from the black eyed bastard, but I eventually got it. It had felt... Nice. When it was done, I felt a moment of completeness... Like I was officially a hunter."

I look up from the book, a shiver going down my spine. "Thank God none of that is real," I say out loud to myself. I turn the page to continue reading, but a knock at the door stops me. I put the book down and get up to answer it.

When I open the door I am greeted by a boy with blonde hair and blue eyes. "Yes?" I ask him

He smiles. "I'm Michael. My folks and I just rented the house down the street. They wanted me to go door to door to meet everyone."

I raise an eyebrow. "Okay? Well, welcome to the neighborhood, I guess. My mom isn't home right now, so it's just me. I'm Emma."

He smiles. "Nice to meet you," he says. I smile and go to close the door, but he stops me by placing a hand on the door. "Hey, you don't happen to go to Raymond high, do you?"

Sighing, I open the door and let him in. "Yeah. I do. I'm a senior there."

He smiles at me, his white teeth nearly blinding me. "I'll be starting there tomorrow as a senior myself. How long have you been there?"

I shrug. "A couple months, I guess. We just moved here back in August."

He nods. "That's cool. Yeah, my folks and I don't stay around in one place for long," he says, walking into the living room. He picks up the book off the couch and reads the cover. "Nice book," he says. "Looks like it's been read several times."

"Yeah," I say crossing my arms and leaning up against the wall. "It's my moms. I only just started reading it."

He nods. "Cool." He places the book back down on the couch and gives it a knowing look. I raise an eyebrow but don't say anything. "So, hey. I got a question for you."

I nod. "Okay. What is it?"

He sighs. "Is it true that students from Raymond are going missing?"

I nod and stand up straight. "Yeah, it's true. Four missing and one dead. She was found just the other day."

"Oh, man," he says. "Did you know any of them."

I shake my head. "No. Not personally. They were all freshman. Though, the girl who was found the other day was in one of my elective class. It was kind of eerie walking in there yesterday."

He shakes his head. "Wow. I'm so sorry."

I shrug. "It's okay. We're all just trying to get through right now."

He nods. "Do you know what this girl was like?"

I shrug and sit down on the couch. He sits down and places his arms on his knees, leaning forward to listen to my answer. "Not really," I say. "I mean, she was nice. I always saw her smiling. People say that she was one of those good girls during the day and bad girl at night. I didn't personally know her, though, so I can't really say much about her."

He nods. "That's understandable. How long has everyone been missing?"

"Well, April, the dead girl, went missing about five weeks ago. And ever since then, someone has gone missing once a week. Luckily, no one has gone missing this week, though it has had everyone on edge."

He nods. "Has there been any sort of pattern with the kidnappings?"

I shake my head. "No. Not really. I mean, when April was found, I guess she was all bruised up. Perhaps whoever the kidnapper is, is beating them to death. And then stabbing them in the neck with something. People are saying that it almost looks as if she was bitten by a vampire."

Michael's back stiffens. "Wow," he says. "That's crazy."

"Yeah. And I guess she didn't seem to have any blood in her body. But, of course, it's not a vampire because they aren't real."

Michael gives me a nervous laugh. "Uh," he says. "Yeah. That's right. I mean, a vampire? Really?" He swallows. "I have to get going. It was lovely meeting you, Emma."

"You, too," I say with a bemused smile. He's quick to stand up and make his way to the door, closing it behind him.

"Weird," I mutter to myself and turn the TV on. After flipping through the channels a few times, I decide to watch the evening news.

"Five students are now missing this evening. Nathan Felsh, a freshman at Raymond High School, has gone missing today," the news reporter says.

Sighing, I lean back into the couch. How many more kids were going to be taken until this madness was over?