Chapter 12: Home

It doesn't take us long to find the man's bones and burn them. By the time we are done with that, it's late and Dean and Sam are both obviously tired. I try to convince them to just continue on and start heading towards my old house, but I don't push it too far. In the end, we stay at the motel.

No matter how much I toss and turn, I can't fall asleep. I don't know if it's out of the fear of the ever occurring nightmares or the nervous feeling I have to go home. It's probably a little bit of both. My mind swirls. What will we find when we get there? Will the house be empty? Or will they think I'm still living there and haven't even touched the house?

I must have fallen asleep at some point because next thing I know, I'm being shaken awake. "Hey," Dean says. "I would continue to let you sleep, but we got to hit the road. Sam will be back soon with some food."

I groan and sit up. I obviously hadn't been sleeping for long. "Okay," I say and groggily make my way to the bathroom. After cleaning up a bit, I grab my duffel bag and head outside.

Sam and Dean lean against the impala, both of them eating doughnuts. Sam hands me the box and I pull out a plain, glazed one. I nibble on it, but I don't feel very hungry. After the boys have had three, I give up on eating it and throw it back in the box.

"You feeling alright?" Dean asks while looking at my barely eaten doughnut.

I shrug. "I'm a little nervous," I admit. "It's kind of ruining my appetite."

Dean pulls me into a hug, surprising me. "I understand. We'll make this a quick run in and then run out, okay?"

I nod into his chest and hug him back. "Okay. I'll start thinking of places we could find things."

We hit the road then and it takes a day to get to my old town. We cruise down the streets and I give them directions to my house, the entire time my heart racing. We pass by my old high school and I sigh. I didn't really have any friends for I was only there for a short period of time, but at least it was something normal.

We pull up next to my house, parking across the street to seem less ominous. "Wow," Dean says. "Your mom really worked hard for this, didn't she?"

I nod. "She worked in the government building a town over. She was rarely home, but she had the money to keep me occupied. Let's go."

I climb out of the car first, eager to get inside and see everything. The front door is locked, so we hop the fence. Luckily the back door was open and we walk inside. Everything was exactly where Michael and I left it.

The TV was off now, but the pizza box and water glasses remained on the coffee table. I try the light switch, but I guess the power must have been shut off due to no one paying the bills for awhile. I go to the counter and pick up the flashlight sitting in the corner.

"I'll go check her room," I say. "There's a safe down in the basement that might have something. I don't know the code, so you'll have to break into it. The boxes in the hall closet might have something, too." Sam and Dean nod. They both pull flashlights out of their coat pockets and they start heading to different parts of the house.

I venture upstairs, my heart racing. It was so cold in here. And spooky. I know there aren't any ghosts here, but it was still creepy. Cobwebs had already formed in various places and I try to ignore the few spiders I see crawling around the walls. 

I pass my room and stop. The door was open, allowing me to see my unmade bed and messy floor. I walk in and look around. A picture of mom and me sits on my bedside table, both of us smiling from ear to ear. I pick it up and smile. "I miss you, Mom," I whisper.

"Hey," someone says, causing me to jump. It was Dean.

"Hey," I say, looking back at the picture.

Dean comes up to me and lightly touches my shoulder. "You alright?"

I take a deep breath and place the picture frame into my pocket. "Yeah," I say. "Just a little weird being back here after being gone for a month."

He nods. "Yeah. One time Sam and I went back to our place in Lawrence for a case." Dean presses his lips together. "One day I'll tell you that story," he says.

I smile and we walk out of my room together. "Mom never lets me in her room," I say opening her door. "So I have no idea what to expect."

The door creaks open and seems to be darker in here than the rest of the house. I shine my light in and start looking around. I notice a giant circle on the floor. "What the hell is that?"

Dean looks down. "A demon trap. I bet she has salt along the windows and silver everywhere." I look and sure enough, he was right. I open her closet and gasp. A machete hung from a hook and various knives were placed around it. In the back was a small table where all sorts of guns sat.

"Holy crap," I say with a small laugh. "My mom was a total badass."

Dean picks up the machete. "Here," he says, handing it to me. "I bet your mom would have wanted you to have it."

I smile and take it. I don't say anything because I'm a little weirded out. Putting the machete down, I reach up and grab a box from a shelf. Opening it, I find all sorts of papers filled with designs of what look like demon traps. Latin covers various pages and descriptions of what different creatures are. "I think I got something," I say, handing the box to my dad.

He nods when he sees the papers. "I'll say. Let's take these with us and we'll look them over when we get back on the road."

I nod and we head downstairs. "Hey, guys," Sam calls up from the basement. "I think you might want to see this."

We walk down and I stop at the scene before me. I thought there was a lot of weapons in her closet, but this safe is nothing but. A malice along with another machete hangs on the door. Chains and spikes hang from the inside. Shelves hold various knives and guns. Things of red spray paint and salt completely takes up one shelf while flasks take up another one.

"What are these filled with?" I ask, picking up one of the flasks. Sam disappears, leaving Dean and me alone.

"Probably holy water. Unless your mom had a drinking problem," he says. Sam soon returns with an empty bag. He and Dean begin loading it with the salt, spray paint, and holy water.

I give them a weird look. "Uh, what are you guys doing?"

"If we can get this stuff for free, we're taking it," Dean says with a smile. I roll my eyes and head back upstairs. After a couple minutes, they come back up.

"What now?" I ask.

Dean shrugs. "I guess we hit the road and see if we find anything." Just then his phone rings. "This is Dean," he says, answering it. "What? Okay, okay. Michael, I need you to slow down."

My heart speed quickly picks up. "Michael? What? Is he okay?"

Dean looks at me and then looks down. "Okay. Hey. Listen to me. We're in Nebraska right now. It'll be a couple days before we can get there, but we'll get there as soon as we can, okay?" Dean listens for Michael to answer and then says, "Okay. Just sit tight kid. We're coming. Call us if you need anything else, alright? Just stay where you are."

Dean storms out of the house and Sam and I chase after him. "Hey!" I say. "Is Michael okay?"

"I don't know," Dean says. "We just need to get to him. Now."