Chapter 6: Winchester

Dean looks at me as if he hadn't heard me correctly. "You're my what?" He asks.

"Your daughter," I repeat, the little confidence I have disappears. I look down at my feet and swallow back my tears.

"I have a daughter?" Dean scoffs. "Yeah. Sure. Nice try kid."

"No," Michael says, stepping forward. I look up to see that Dean was starting to get back into his car. "She is."

"Dean," the other guy, Sam I presume, stops him. "I don't think she's lying."

Dean's eyes widen. "We don't even know these kids, Sammy. For all we know they can be some orphan hunters looking to be with the big shots, and I'm not having it."

"Carol Perry," I say, stepping forward. "That was my mother. She was a young hunter in Canyon City, Colorado. She went to school at Highlands High School. She met you there. And you, your dad, your brother, her parents, and her, you all worked together. You took her out for a nice date, hooked up with her, and then left. You never once looked back and she never got the chance to tell you that knocked her up." I press my lips together and look down.

Dean closes his car door and looks up at me. "Perry?" I nod and he sighs. "Son of a bitch." He then storms passed me and into the house. "Bobby, you got any beer in the fridge?"

***

"So, Emma," Sam says. We all sit on the couch in the living room. Except Dean. Instead, he sulks in the corner, a beer in his hand.

"Yes?"

Sam looks around. "How did you find us?"

I shrug. "I met Michael. He was on the same hunt my mom was."

He nods. "And, where is your mother?"

I swallow and look down. "She's dead. Died about a week ago now." Wow, has it really been that long? I still remember it like it was yesterday. Doesn't help that the nightmares keep me reminded. "I didn't know she was a hunter, but then Michael told me. I was reading this book, about a hunter and her struggle of hunting. It mentioned Dean and her most magical night... And I just kind of put two and two together. Sure enough, several pages later it shows what she named me."

Sam nods. "Can we see this book?" I nod back and hand him it.

"Gimme that," Dean says. He grabs the book and sits down. After flipping through the pages for a bit, he throws the book onto the coffee table. "God dammit," he says. "You are my kid."

"Dean," Sam says.

Dean ignores him and stands up. "I need some air." I've never seen anyone exit a room so fast.

"He hates me," I say, putting my face into my hands.

"What?" Sam says, moving to sit closer to me. "No, he doesn't hate you. Emma, trust me. He's just... In shock. I mean, he never even knew you existed. The question is, why didn't your mom tell him about you sooner?"

I shrug. "In her journal, she says that she didn't want me to be a part of the hunting world. I guess she had adopted parents and they raised her to be a hunter. But after I was born they all decided to keep me out of that world. To keep me safe. And then, I don't know. I guess she freaked out and worried for my safety. As far as I'm concerned, that was her first hunt in almost eighteen years."

Sam nods. "What was she hunting?"

"Vampires," Michael says. "She insisted I stay with Emma, to keep her safe. She went after the sons of bitches all by herself."

I nod at that, my eyes watering up again. Dammit, Em. Stop crying.

"You," Dean says, walking back into the room. He has a finger pointed at me.

I quickly stand up, hope filling me like a balloon. "Yes?"

"I want to talk to you. Come on." I quickly follow him out the door. His walk screams dangerous, but when I get a look at his face, all I see is worry. Fear, even.

We stop next to an old car that is a pretty fair distance away from the house. I breathe heavily from the rushed walk, but I try to act like it didn't faze me. "Yes?" I say after a couple minutes of awkward silence. 

"Emma, right?" I nod and he nods back. "Sorry about your mom."

I look down. "Thank you."

I hear him sigh. "I'm going to be honest. I don't know how this whole parenting thing works. How old are you?"

"Eighteen. But I'll be nineteen in March," I say and he nods again.

"Yep. Sounds just about right." He sighs again and looks at me. "You and I have the same eyes."

I laugh and smile. "Yeah. I guess we do."

We stand there in silence for a bit. At first, it was comfortable, but after about five minutes, it became awkward and Dean clears his throat. "You ever been hunting?"

I shake my head. "I didn't even know my mom was capable of picking up a gun. So no, I've never been hunting."

He laughs. "Well, that'll make things a little bit more challenging."

I cock my head and raise an eyebrow. "Make what more challenging?"

"Teaching you how to hunt of course."

My eyes widen. "What?"

He laughs and begins walking back to the house and I quickly run after him "You're a Winchester!" Dean says. "You've got hunter running in your veins. You got to live up to the name."

I laugh. "You're kidding, right?"

"No," he says. "Why? You worried about chipping a nail?"

My eyes go wide and I scoff. "Excuse me?" We both walk inside the house, laughing. Sam smiles and Michael raises a curious eyebrow.

"Everything good?" Michael asks, coming up to me. 

I nod. "Yeah," I say. "I think it is."

He smiles. "Good. Cause Bobby was telling me about this really good diner that's close by. I was thinking that maybe you and I could go celebrate finding your dad?"

I look over the guys. Dean and Sam look like they're in a deep conversation. Probably about me. I look to Michael. "Sure. Let's go."

He grins and we go tell Bobby. He agreed to tell the boys once they were finished talking. Michael and I climb into his baby blue mustang and soon we are on the road.