Chapter 4: The Truth

I wake up to Michael lightly shaking my shoulder, my book open on my lap. I must have fallen asleep reading.

I look out the window to see a small, green house. The lawn is perfectly manicured and the window frames are painted white. A tire swing is tied to a large tree and a white picket fence goes around the entire front yard. Yawning, I climb out of the car. "Where are we?" I ask.

"This is my aunt's place," Michael says. "I called her back at the motel. She said we could come here for a bit."

I nod and follow him up to the white door. "What about your parents? Where are they?"

"Dead," he says as he unlocks the door. "My aunt won't be home for another day or two, so make yourself at home."

I stop in the doorway, completely taken off guard. "Wait," I say. "Dead? But my mom said she met your parents."

Michael lifts an eyebrow. "Did she now?" He says in a nervous voice.

I cross my arms. "What's going on? I just want answers."

Michael clears his throat. "You sure?"

I give an exasperated sigh and fall onto the nearest couch. "Yes!"

He nods. "Okay. Well... Uh... I don't know how to say any of this without sounding like a crazy person. Plus, I've never had to do something like this."

I sit up and put my hands on my lap. "Just start talking. I won't say anything until you're done."

He raises an eyebrow, his blue eyes shining in the sunshine coming in from the window. "Alright. If you say so."

He sits down and clears his throat, his arms on his legs as he leans forward. "I'm a hunter," he starts. "But, not your typical, everyday hunter. I hunt... different things. Not bears, deer, or anything of that sort. I hunt the supernatural."

"What?" I say, laughing. "Come on, Michael. Tell me the truth."

"I thought you said you weren't going to say anything until I was finished," he said, his expression completely serious. I swallow and nod for him to continue, a knot tying in my stomach. "Anyways, I was in town working a case. The missing kids from your school, well I figured out that they were actually taken by vampires. I hadn't been sure at first, but when you told me how that one kid died, my thoughts were confirmed.

"I guess your mom was also working the case," he continues. "I didn't realize that she was a hunter, at first. She told me that she was just a local hunter, only stuck to jobs in town. She also told me that she hadn't hunted in years. But she was so worried for your safety, she wanted to go after the vamps. I asked her how I could help and she said to stay with you. I don't know what happened during the hunt, but I don't think she was able to complete it."

My throat is dry and I force out a laugh. "You're kidding, right?"

He shakes his head. "Nope. I'm not."

I sit back. "You have to be."

Michael laughs. "I know. It's a lot to take in."

I lick my lips, thinking. "Does the name Dean Winchester sound familiar?"

Michael looks at me, surprised. "Yeah. Every hunter knows who the Winchester's are. Why?"

I sigh and look down at my lap. "Because I'm starting to think that he might be my dad."

***

"'Last night was the most magical night of my life,'," I say out loud. "That is exactly how my mom explained the night I was conceived. I think this book might actually be her diary from when she was a girl. But why did she leave it out for me to find it."

Michael grabs the book and started reading the page. "I don't know. That's a good question." He flips through the pages. "I've never seen a hunter's journal like this, though. I mean, yeah. There is lore and notes about different creatures, but mostly her personal life and experiences out of hunting."

"Why did she never tell me?" I whisper to myself.

"Here," he says. "Read this. It might explain."

I grab the book and begin reading.

"Emma. Emma Jane Winchester. It's such a pretty name. But mom refuses to let her last name be Winchester. I don't know why she hates them so much.

"Emma Jane Perry. It just doesn't have as nice of a ring to it. I guess it doesn't matter. Emma probably will never meet him anyways. I've tried contacting Dean, but he changed his number. I don't know how else I can let him know that he has a little girl.

"I brought Emma home today. She is so beautiful. She looks just like her father. A father she will never know. I don't want her to know him. I don't want her to know the dangers of hunting. Mom and Dad agree with me. It's too dangerous for her. So we are leaving. Tonight. To live on our own. Mom and Dad say they'll help pay for the first year, but after that, I'll never hear from them again."

A tear rolls down my cheek and I place the book down. "All this time she was protecting me."

Michael nods. "Many parents try to do that, but it normally doesn't work. At least, not for as long as she was able to."

"Now what?" I ask.

He shrugs. "That's up to you."

I press my lips together. "I don't know. I guess we can go find Dean. I can finally meet my father."

He sighs and leans against a wall. "Easier said than done. The Winchester brothers are constantly moving around. There's no telling where they might be."

"Well," I start, walking over to my duffle bag and pull out my laptop. "Is there a meeting place that you know of? Somewhere that they're bound to show up to at some point?"

Michael scrunches his eyebrows together, his blue eyes thinking. I have to admit. It's pretty cute. "Well," he says. "There is one place. I've only ever been there once. And that was when my parents were alive, meaning I was only like, eight years old."

I nod. "Then let's go there."

He sighs. "I guess I should tell my aunt we won't be staying after all?"

I smile. "We can some other time. Right now, though, I want to meet my dad."

He nods. "Alright," he says with a smile. "Let's go then."