Chapter 15: Castiel

I lay on the ground, my arms outstretched around me. My ears ring and the silence is almost deafening. Or many I'm just deaf.

I don't hear anything at first, my mind slipping in and out of consciousness. I'm vaguely aware of the blood oozing out of various head wounds and of it clogs my nose. My eyes are closed and I try to focus on my breathing, but it's hard to concentrate.

"Emma!" I hear someone yell, but it sounds like it's far away. I open my eyes and see Dean leaning down over me, his expression one of extreme worry. "Stay with me," he says, but I barely hear him.

"Dad?" I whisper, but it sounds like a yell in my head.

"I'm here," he says, picking me up. "I'm here. You're going to be okay, Emma." And then my close and I'm lost for a time.

***

When I open my eyes I'm nearly blinded by the lights. I slowly sit up and look around. I was in a motel bed. How I got here? I can't remember.

I slowly stand up and test my footing. I wobble a bit, but seem to have my balance. I make my way to the bathroom and look in the mirror. It looks like someone tried cleaning the blood away, but there was still quite a bit dried in my hair and on my clothes. I peel off my clothes and hop into the shower, the heat of it stinging my head. After I scrub the blood off, I get out and slowly get dressed, my mind spinning.

"You're awake," Dean says coming into the motel room. "How are you feeling?"

He hands me a water bottle and I take it. After sucking down about half the bottle I shrug. "Like I've been to Hell and back."

Dean laughs and takes a drink out of his water bottle. "Trust me. That's not how you feel."

I raise an eyebrow, but decide not to question it. "How long have I been out?"

Dean looks at his watch. "Almost two days. How's your head?"

"Hurts," I say and poke at it. It stings where I touch, but at least it wasn't bleeding. "What happened?"

"You killed the banshee," he says. "But not until after the son of a bitch drove you mad and you banged your head in the wall. I don't know what happened in there to be exact because I couldn't get in, but the entire room was destroyed."

My eyes widen. "Seriously? I remember stumbling around a bit and I remember that terrible noise, but I don't remember destroying the room."

Dean shrugs. "It's over now and that's all that matters." I nod and finish off my water. My stomach growls just then, reminding me that I haven't eaten in almost two days.

"Think we can go get some food? I'm starving," I say.

Dean smiles and stands up. "I thought you'd never ask."

***

Apparently we were heading out to Bobby's, leaving Hannah and Michael behind. I guess Hannah had insisted on them staying, at least until I woke up, but the boys said they needed to get back on the road.

I check my phone for the first time in forever and see several text messages from Michael. I glance through them, all of them asking me if I was awake and alright, but ignore them and eat my breakfast. Dean flirts with a waitress and Sam is focused on reading something on his laptop, so I have no one to talk to. I sigh and push my empty plate to the side and sip on my coffee.

"You doing okay?" Sam asks me, looking up from his computer.

I nod. "Yeah. I'm fine. Just a little tired."

"You might have concussion," he says, taking a bite of his eggs and closes the computer. "I would try not to sleep for a bit."

I nod and finish off my coffee. "So, how much longer 'till we get to Bobby's?"

"Probably a couple hours. We aren't too far out. We left pretty much as soon as the banshee was gone."

"Why do you think she went after me?" I ask.

He shrugs. "No idea. Maybe because you happened to be close to her victim."

I nod and Dean rejoins us. "Hey," he says, nudging me with his shoulder.

I smile and we sit there for a bit longer. Eventually, Sam and Dean are done eating and we hit the road again. "You talk to Michael yet?" Dean asks me, his eyes focused on the road in front of him.

I shake my head. "No, not yet."

"You should let him know that you're okay," Sam says. "He was really worried about you when we left."

"Sure he was," I mumble.

"What was that?" Dean asks, neither of them hearing me.

I sigh and sit up in my seat. "I'll send him a text," I say and pull out my phone. After the text is sent I look up and to the side.

I'm not sure exactly what happened because when I looked over I saw out the other window, but I blink and then there's a body right there. I scream and jump back, hitting my already sore head on the window.

"Dammit, Cas!" Dean says, swerving the car. He glares at the man in the rear view mirror.

The man sitting next to me looks at me. My eyes are wide and my heart is beating fast in my chest. "Um," I say, swallowing. "Who are you?"

"I am Castiel," he says.

"He's an angel," Sam says, turning around in his seat. "What are you doing here, Cas?"

Castiel gives me a confused look. "Who is she?"

Dean sighs from the drivers seat. "That's Emma. She's my daughter."

"Her eyes look much like yours, Dean," Castiel says. "I am here because I was sensing a danger following close behind you. I do not know what it is, but I am looking into it. I came here to tell you."

"You're an angel?" I blurt out and he looks to me.

"Yes," he says.

"Oh my God," I say, my jaw dropping. A real angel. Sitting next to me. What was next? Lucifer himself?

"No," he says. "I'm Castiel." I can't help but laugh and he gives me another confused look. "Where are we going?"

"Bobby's," Sam says, leaning farther back in his seat. "Emma had a rough head to head match with a banshee the other day."

Cas looks at me and then back to Sam and Dean. "She is very intelligent. I can tell."

I smile and look down. I have always been smarter than most people and the compliment makes me blush. "Are we almost there?" I ask, looking out the window.

"We'll be there soon," Dean says. "Don't worry."

I smile and lean back in my seat. Cas looks out his window and Sam falls asleep in his seat. Despite Sam telling me to try an stay awake for awhile, I can't help but shut my eyes and fall into a deep sleep.