Chapter 8: Nightmares and Training

Lightning flashes outside, illuminating the living room. The TV is on an eerie story about the missing kids from school being reported. My house is dark and for some reason, I can't find any light switches.

What am I doing here? I thought I left with Michael. I rub my head and sigh. "Must have been a bad dream," I say aloud to myself.

"Mom!" I call out to the empty house, but she doesn't answer. The doorbell rings and I freeze. Who would be here so late?

"That's probably the pizza," Michael says as he enters the kitchen out of nowhere, seeming to melt out of the shadows.

I swallow. "Right," I say with a nervous laugh. I go to the door as in rings again. "I'm coming, I'm coming." I go to open the door, but for some reason, it won't budge.

"Uh," I say. "Michael? The door won't open..." I trail off when I turn around. I'm now outside. The rain seems to have stopped and night sky looks so beautiful. No house lights are on and the lamp posts are all off. A chilling scream sends a shiver down my back and I turn to face the street.

My mother's car is in pieces and blood oozes from the front seat. Blood streaks the street and lightening once again flashes in the distance. A strong wind sweeps across the street and pushes me back into another figure.

"Michael?" I ask, turning around, but instead, I'm met with soulless eyes. He smiles at me, a pair of rather sharp teeth glinting in the moonlight.

"Why hello there, pretty," he says, his voice sounding like needles on my skin.

I shiver. "Who are you?" Just then, lightning flashes again and when I can see, he's gone. I turn back around to the car crash to see my mom's body being dragged out.

"Mom!" I scream and start running after her and the man pulling her out, but a giant weight shoves into my body.

"Emma!" The voice screams, but I don't care who it is. "Emma! Wake up! Emma!"

I lurch upright in my bed, still screaming. When I realize where I am, I stop and feel a cold sweat go down my back. I take a couple deep breaths before acknowledging the other person in the room.

Michael sits down next to me on my bed, a hand rubbing my shoulder. "You okay? You've been screaming for almost ten minutes straight. I couldn't get you to wake up."

I look over to the doorway and see Dean awkwardly standing there, Sam behind him. I swallow hard, my throat raw from screaming. "Yeah," I say, my voice scratchy. "Just a really bad nightmare."

"I'll say," Dean says. "You sure you okay?"

I nod. "Yeah. Can I get some water, please?"

"I'll get it," Michael says, jumping up. When he's gone, Dean enters the room and sits down next to me.

"Want to talk about it?" He asks.

I shake my head. "Not much to talk about. Except that, it was about my mom's death."

He nods. "Well, I'm going back to bed. You need anything else?" He stands up and I shake my head no. "Alright. See you in the morning then."

Michael comes back shortly after Dean leaves, a glass of water in his hand. I greedily drink it, my throat hurting less and less. "Thank you," I say, my voice sounding a lot better.

"Any time," he says, smiling. "Need anything else?" He asks, standing up to leave, but I grab his hand.

Blushing, I quickly let go of his hand. "Think you can stay in here for the rest of the night?"

He smiles. "Yeah. Of course." I begin to scoot over to make room on the bed, but instead of getting into the bed, Michael reaches above the dresser. He pulls down a pillow and a blanket. After making himself comfortable on the floor, he says, "Night."