Chapter 9: Help!

We are cruising down some interstate in Colorado, nobody saying anything. Every so often, Dean will turn up the music and sings along. I don't know any of the songs being played though some of them do sound familiar.

"What's your music preference?" Dean asked me at one point, looking at me through the rearview mirror.

I shrugged. "I don't really care. You're the one driving anyway. Not like I really get a say."

Dean laughed at this and playfully hit Sam in the arm. "Smart kid, eh Sammy?" Sam and I laughed at this. No one said anything after that for a long while.

After about three days of nonstop driving with us only stopping at diners for food, we finally reach our destination. We pull up to a motel and Sam goes inside to get our room key.

"I'll sleep on the floor," Dean says, hauling his and mine bag, even though I had protested against it, inside.

"I can sleep on the floor," I say, but I know Dean's words override mine.

"Nope," he says. "I get the floor. Now rest up. It's late and we need to start getting information first thing in the morning."

I sigh and collapse on my bed. Despite having slept in the car, I was extremely tired and the bed felt much more comfortable than the backseat. My eyes are heavy with exhaustion and it doesn't take me long to fall asleep.

When I wake up, light streams through the curtains. Dean is still curled up on the floor, but Sam is nowhere to be seen. Not much longer, though, Sam comes in from outside. "Thanks, Bobby. I think that will be helpful." He closes his phone and looks up at me. "Good morning."

I can't help but smile back at the cheerful smile he throws me. "Morning," I say, stretching my arms over my head.

Dean groans on the floor and sits up. "You talk to Bobby?" He asks Sam, standing up.

Sam nods. "Just got off the phone with him. So get this. The Woman in White we are looking for had five children. And she drowned them all in the river. Her husband had a very long-lasting affair with his secretary during World War II. Apparently she made him watch her drown all of their kids. Bobby said she tied up to a tree and yelled all sorts of things at him, blaming him for the death of their children. When she was done with that, she left him tied up and left. When he finally got untied, he walked about a mile and came across her dead body. She hanged herself in a tree."

I shiver. "Wow," I say. "That's seriously creepy."

"Women in White tend to be. They are not a fun time," Dean says. "Any idea where her bones were buried?"

Sam shakes his head. "No, but her husband is still alive. Lives over at the retirement home."

Dean nods. "Alright. Well, first, let's get food. I'm starving. Then we'll head to the old folks home."

We walk down the street to a diner. I'm starting to see a tradition with these boys. "Do you guys always eat at diners?"

"It's cheap and the food is always great," Dean says. "Plus, there's pie."

"You know," I say. "iHop serves pie, as well."

Dean ignores that as we sit down. The boys both order large meals, but I stick with just bacon and eggs. "You need to eat more," Dean says. "Got to build that body strenghth."

I look at his plate of pancakes, eggs, hashbrowns, and sausage. "I'm good," I say.

Dean rolls his eyes, but doesn't say anything more. Sam laughs at the exchange, but says nothing about the matter. "So," I say. "What are you guys going to do? Do you have disguises or something?"