Chapter 20: Happy

Dean arrives at the motel about fifteen minutes earlier than expected. He barely stops the car before he's racing towards me. I run to him and we collide in a giant hug. I wince at the pressure on my wounds, but I could care less at this moment.

I hear a bunch of car doors slamming and I look up to see Michael and Hannah climbing out of the blue mustang. "Emma," Michael says, stopping just a few feet away from me.

More tears started pouring out of my eyes and pull away from Dean to hug Michael. I feel him tense up with surprise, but it doesn't take him long to return the hug. Pulling away, I look at my family. "Thank you guys so much," I say through my sobbing.

"You're bleeding," Dean says and pulls me to the car.

"Wait!" I say and he gives me a confused look. "I told you there were other people with me." Carter and Derek step forward, each of them looking as awkward as ever.

"I'm Carter Doll," Carter says. "And this is Derek Vince."

"Come on," Hannah says. "We got room in our car for you two." We all pile into the cars. Bobby had been sitting in the backseat but had insisted that Dean sits back there with me. Sam drives while Bobby sits in the passenger. A song I don't recognize plays through the speakers and I lay my head on my dad's shoulder. 

About a day later we arrive back at Bobby's house. "Let's get you three cleaned up," Dean says as we walk up the porch steps.

I allow Carter and Derek to shower before me. When I get in, I yelp in pain as the hot water scalds my damaged skin. Cuts and gashes become more visible once the blood and dirt is all removed. I lightly take soapy hands to my body, crying out in pain every time I hit a tender spot. When I get out I put on the loosest fitting clothes that I can find.

I enter the living room once I'm finished. Carter and Derek sit on the couch next to each other. "Do you know why they wanted you?" Sam is asking them.

"My mother broke some sort of deal with their leader, Chester," Carter says. "Same with Derek and Emma."

"When did your mother make this deal with Chester?" Sam asks.

"About eighteen years ago," Derek says, his British accent sounding more prominent now that he could relax a bit.

Sam and Dean exchange a look. "Alright. We'll let you guys get some rest."

I follow the two brothers into the kitchen and cross my arms. "Now what?" I ask. "That was way too easy. I remember reading something that the elders stayed behind while the others hunted. Why did they leave us all alone."

Dean shakes his head. "I have no idea. Also, I'm trying to figure out why they were making deals in the first place."

I look down at my feet. "I don't think they're normal vampires, Dean."

"What do you mean?"

I bite my lip and sit down as a wave nausea makes its way up my throat. "They made the humans fight to the death. The last one standing got to last a little longer than the others. I... I had to clean up after the fights. We all did." A tear slips down my cheek and I feel Dean come up behind me. He places a hand on my shoulder.

"I tried saving the other humans," I say. "But I failed. In turn, I was tortured. They tortured me... And then we were able to get away. It was so easy. I don't understand."

Dean shakes his head. "I have no idea, kiddo. I wish I knew why they let you guys go home free. But I do know one thing. I don't like it. You three are to be under some serious supervision until we figure out what the hell is going on."

"Dean," I say as he starts leaving the room. He turns around. "Thank you for coming."

He smiles. "I'll always come back for you. Now go rest up."

I smile and head up to my room. It doesn't take me long to fall asleep, but it is tainted by nightmares all night long.

***

"Emma?" A voice says and I turn around to see Michael. He stands awkwardly in my doorway, hands in his pockets.

I give him a smile and he seems to relax a bit. "How are you feeling?" He asks me, walking into the room.

After I get him to sit down next to me I sigh. "Like crap," I say. "I'm going to have some pretty badass looking scars, though."

He laughs and then he turns to me, his face completely serious. "Emma," he says. "I am so sorry about everything that I said."

I shake my head and stand up. "I don't want to think about that right now," I say. "Please?"

He nods in understanding. "Have you talked much with your new friends?"

I shake my head. "Derek was there longer than us, so I know he's enjoying the fresh air. Carter has holed up in her room sleeping. Why?"

He shrugs. "Just think it would be good if you all talked about it. I know you've talked about what happened... But not about how you're feeling."

I look down, tears welling up in my eyes. "I was scared," I admit. "I was terrified. I thought I was going to die in there." I sit back down next to Michael and he pulls me to him. "I started to think, during the torturing, that Dean wasn't going to get to me in time. Or worse... Not at all. I started thinking about what you said. I was scared that you had been right."

"I was wrong," he says into my hair. "So terribly wrong and I am so sorry. So very sorry, Emma."

"I don't know if I'm ever going to get over what I saw. The fighting... Humans killing humans thinking that in the end, they would live. That they would be set free. It was disgusting. They could have worked together. Instead, they killed each other. I don't even know if there are still some back at the barn. And I honestly don't care at this point. Is that bad?"

"No," Michael says, rubbing his hand up and down my arm. "It's not."

We sit like that for a bit and I feel myself relax. "Thank you for coming back," I say into his chest.

"I love you, Emma," Michael says and I freeze. Do I still feel the same way? Or has it been too long?

I don't say anything and I feel him slump in disappointment. "I'm going to head downstairs," he says after a while.

I nod and watch him go. After a bit, I head downstairs and see Derek and Carter playing Monopoly. They were already adding Michael in and I turn down their offer to add me in.

I walk outside and find Dean sitting on the hood of the impala. "Hey," he says.

I smile and walk up to him. "Hey," I say. I give him a hug and he seems to hold onto me like I was going to be taken away again.

"Don't ever do something like that again, kid," Dean says.

I look down at my feet. "I'm sorry."

"Hey," Dean says, lifting my chin with two fingers so that I look into his eyes. "Don't be. What you did was brave. A true Winchester."

I smile at the compliment. "Any plans?"

Dean shrugs. "Nah. I think we'll just hang here for a bit. At least, until this whole mess blows over. It will probably be safer anyways."

I nod and look back at the house. "I love you, Dad," I say and I look to him with a smile.

He looks back to me and pulls me into another hug, both of us laughing as he ruffles my hair. "I love you, too, kid." We stay out there for a bit longer, father and daughter, both of us laughing and making jokes. And for the first time since my mothers death, I actually feel happy and like I'm where I belong.