Chapter 18: Dean's Promise

Dean watches Emma be dragged away by the vampire, his mind swirling. How could he let this happen? He just promised her he would keep her safe, and now she's gone.

"Dean?" Someone calls out from the darkness.

"Sammy," Dean replies, his voice empty of emotion.

"Dean," Sammy says again. "We need to get out of here."

Dean shakes his head. His brother was right. They needed to get out of here and come up with some sort of plan to get Emma back. "I'm so sorry, Emma," Dean cries to himself as he works the ropes tied around him. Once free, and enters the shadows in search for Sammy.

He finds his brother strapped to another table. He unties him and they both leave the warehouse they were in. "You look like crap," Dean says. Sammy is covered in blood, his entire shirt in shreds.

Sam laughs, but it is humorless. "You don't look too great yourself." Dean looks down at himself, the pain in his abdomen starting become unbearable.

"I need to get patched up," Dean says. Luckily, Chester hadn't gone too far in with blade, barely piercing the skin. The only reason why it had hurt so much was because of the beatings he had received moments prior to being stabbed.

"We're going to find her," Sammy says when they get into the car.

Dean stares at the steering wheel, his mind only one thing. Killing that son of a bitch for taking his little girl.

"Yeah," he says, starting the impala. "We are."

***

"So, wait," Hannah says, opening the door all the way. "She's gone?"

Sam and Dean enter the house, both of their faces grim. "Yeah," Sammy says.

Hannah's hand goes to her mouth as she gasps. "Oh, my... Let me go tell Michael."

Several moments later, a crash is heard from upstairs and the brothers quickly jump from the couch and race up the stairs. When they get there, Michael is in a fetal position, rocking back and forth. Hannah stands off to the side, her face one of worry, sympathy, and sadness. A flower pot lays broken against a wall, the dirt covering the white carpet.

"Hey," Dean says, getting down next to Michael. "Come on."

"She's gone," Michael says, his face blank of emotion, but tears run down his face. "She's gone."

"We're going to get her back," Dean says, helping the kid up.

Michael looks at Dean with uncertainty. "How?"

Dean shrugs. "We have no idea. But we need your help. Besides, I'm sure she'll be happy to see you." 

Dean smiles but stops when Michael looks away, more tears running down his face. "No," he says. "She wouldn't be happy to see me."

"What do you mean?" Dean asks, patting Michael on the back. "She even admitted to me that she likes you."

"She hates me," Michael says, shaking his head. "I said... Some things and... She wouldn't even look at me last time she was here."

Dean sighs and looks at Sammy who shrugs. "Look," Dean says. "We need your help. I don't care if she won't be happy to see you, but we need as many people as possible if we are going to pull this off, kid. Who knows how many other vampires are going to be with Chester."

Michael sits down. "Okay," he says and looks up at Dean. "When do we start?"

***

"Do we even know where to go?" Hannah asks. She pushes her red curls behind her shoulders and pushes her glasses up her freckled nose. She squints her blue eyes in confusion. "How are we going to find her if we don't even have a lead."

"I am working on that," Castiel says from the corner. "I can't find her, but I will keep searching."

Michael sits at the kitchen table, a cup of coffee in his hands. "Any real idea as to why this Chester guy even wants her in the first place? Besides some stupid deal with Emma's mom?"

Dean shakes his head and scratches the stubble growing on his chin. Sammy runs a hand through his long hair, shaking his head as well. "He wouldn't tell us any more than that," Sam says.

Bobby coughs but doesn't say anything. Everyone is silent for a bit, but it doesn't take long for the quiet to drive Dean mad. "Anything, Cas?"

Castiel shakes his head. "No, Dean. You will need to be patient."

"Screw being patient!" Dean yells. "My daughter has been kidnapped by some psycho vamp, Cas! You better hurry the hell up so that we can kill that son of a bitch and sons of bitches working with him!"

"Dean," Sam says, walking up to his brother. "Just take a deep breath. We are going to find her. Just calm-"

"No," Dean says, tears forming in his eyes. "Don't tell me to calm down, Sammy. I promised her. Promised her that I would keep her safe. And now she's gone. Because I couldn't protect her." He couldn't take it anymore. The room was spinning and he needed air. He storms out of the kitchen and into the warm, night air. Tomorrow was the first day of summer.

"You're going to find her, you know," Bobby says, walking out onto the porch.

"I know," Dean says, wiping away a tear.

Bobby sighs and leans up against the house. "I haven't even know her for that long," Dean says, shaking his head. "And yet, I care so much about her. I would do anything to protect her. To keep her safe. I feel like I've failed her."

"You're a good father, Dean," Bobby says. "Don't blame yourself. We'll get her back. And the reasoning behind why you care about her as much as you do? You're her dad, Dean. She's your daughter and from the moment you found out she was your kid, your parental instincts have kicked in and hell, son, you've done an amazing job so far."

Dean looks at Bobby, the only real father figure in his life. "I'm nothing like him, am I?" It would just break his heart if he treated her like his dad to him.

"No," Bobby says, shaking his head. "Not even close."

Dean lets out a breath of relief. "Good," he says, nodding his head up and down, up and down. "Good."

"I'm going to in to make dinner," Bobby says. He squeezes Dean's shoulder and walks back into the house, leaving Dean alone.

Dean Winchester looks out into the night. "I promise I'll come get you," he says. "No matter how many things I have to kill, I will find you, Emma. I promise, Emma. I promise." Dean sits down and cries, his heart aching for his little girl. "I promise," he says over and over again.

After a couple minutes, Dean stands up, brushes himself off, and heads back inside where everyone was getting ready to sit down and eat dinner.