Chapter 10: A Letter From Mom

It feels like forever until we finally get to Bobby's. Dean had insisted on not stopping as he tore down the streets. The fact we were never pulled over still surprises me.

"Maybe she was on a hunt when she was younger and pissed off a couple vampires," Bobby says after we tell him about the events in Colorado.

Sam picks up my mother's journal from where I threw it. "Maybe she mentioned something about it in here?"

I shake my head. "I haven't found anything except that they have our scent. I mean, I can look. I haven't read all of it yet."

"Take a look," Dean says, scowling.

I roll my eyes and grab the book and flip through it until I find something that might be useful. Skimming the page, I say, "Well, I think that guy's name was Chester. Mom says that this vamp had a thing for me because I'm Dean's daughter. She says he tried to kidnap me to use me as bounty against you, Dean."

"Son of a bitch," he says. Sighing he leans up against the wall, crossing his arms. "Continue."

I clear my throat. "I guess she's been running from him for years. He took an interest in her for some reason and when he found I was a Winchester, it peaked his interest. She doesn't mention how he found out."

I flip through the pages again. I find an entry at the very back, one that looks more like her handwriting now. "Wait a sec," I say. "Looks like she wrote one right before she died."

"I can't take this anymore. I can not keep running. I know I haven't hunted in years... But that doesn't matter. I need to end this. Now. I need Emma to be safe. I need to keep her safe. If I can just get her to find... To find him all should be good. She'll be safe.

"I have a plan. I know if she is to find out... She'll think less of me than she already does. There's a young hunter in town. His name is Michael. He's agreed to help me. He's agreed to take her to him. To keep her safe.

"He's a good boy. I just know he'll keep her safe for me. I love her so much. I don't know what I would do if something were to happen to her... So here's what I will do. I will go after Chester... Alone. Michael will stay with Emma and make sure that nothing happens to her. And I will lead Chester home... And he will kill me. Michael will take Emma to Dean. And she will be safe and we will have to stop running... Forever.

"I love you, Emma. Never doubt that I never did, my precious little girl. I'm sorry I was never there for you. That I didn't show just how much you mean to me. I'm sorry for not telling you about who I was. Who I am. Who your father is. Who you are destined to be. I have made so many mistakes raising you. I just hope that one day, you can forgive me. I hope you find your father. He's very nice man. He won't shut you out. I know this. He will protect you with his life. He might sound like a jerk sometimes, but he's only doing so to protect you. He has a big heart and he will love you and show you more so than I ever did. I love you, my darling daughter. Until we meet again. -Mom."

Tears stream down my cheeks when I'm finished reading. "I love you, Mom," I whisper and close my eyes. I understand now. All these years of moving, of never staying in one place for more than year... She was trying to protect me. And she died, knowing that I would be safe. Knowing that Michael would help me find my father.

Michael. Anger begins to spread through my body. How could he not tell me? He knew my mother planned her death... And yet, he remained silent. He didn't tell me jack and now, I don't know. It hurts. Way too damn much. If he had told me, things would be way different. If he hadn't pretended he didn't know my mom was going die...

"Emma?" I open my eyes and see Dean. Sam and Bobby must have left the room, leaving the two of us alone. "Are you okay?"

He sits down on the couch next to me, putting an arm around my shoulders. "Mom died protecting me," I say, shaking my head. "All these years, and I had no idea that she was trying to keep me safe. She died knowing that I would try to find you. She knew I was going to read her journal. That's why she left it sitting there on the side table all those weeks ago. It was all part of her plan."

Anger swells inside me. "And Michael knew. He was in on her plan and the bastard said nothing. How could he not tell me, Dean?"

He shrugs and I lean into him. "Your mother probably told him not to say anything."

I shake my head. "That doesn't matter. Dean, you don't understand. I think... I think I might be falling for him. I trusted him. And he lied to me."

Dean coughs. "Um, well," he says. "I don't really know what to say, honestly. I'm not really the one to be giving relationship advice. Especially to a daughter I only met a week ago."

I laugh. "I know, I know. I'm sorry."

Dean gives me a tight squeeze. "So nothing about why this vamp wants you, besides to use you as bounty against me?"

I shake my head. "Nothing."

He nods. "Alright. We'll start looking. See if we can find anything. You get some rest, okay?"

I nod and we both stand up. "Thank you, Dean," I say and give my dad a hug. He hugs me back and when we pull apart, he gives me a smile and exits the room.